What is the best undergraduate book on Classical Mechanics?

In summary, "Classical Mechanics" by John Taylor is a highly recommended upper-division undergraduate textbook for students who have completed a lower-division mechanics course. The author's writing style is clear and helpful, making it easy for readers to understand and apply the concepts. Many readers have found this book to be a valuable resource for relearning classical mechanics and have praised its effectiveness in improving their understanding of the subject. Overall, this book is considered one of the best undergraduate books on the topic.

For those who have used this book

• Total voters
micromass
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I took a CM course when I was a sophomore in college using Fowles and Cassiday. Out of all of my physics courses, I struggled by far the most in there (And consequently, learned the least.)

So, it's a few years later now and I've decided to try and relearn CM using Taylors' book. I'm just finishing up the first chapter and it was like a bunch of light bulbs going off! I hope the rest of the book is this well written!

I read the whole book and work through all problems, it was a real juy and the book itself is excellent! Highly recommended! the best undegraduate book on the subject!

1. What is Classical Mechanics?

Classical Mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects and the forces that act upon them. It is based on the laws of motion and gravity developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century.

2. Who is the author of "Classical Mechanics" by Taylor?

The book "Classical Mechanics" is written by John R. Taylor, a renowned physicist and educator who has taught at several universities including University of Colorado, Boulder and University of Oxford.

3. What makes "Classical Mechanics" by Taylor a popular textbook?

"Classical Mechanics" by Taylor is popular among students and educators because of its clear and concise explanations, numerous real-world examples, and challenging problem sets that help students develop a deeper understanding of the subject.

4. Is "Classical Mechanics" by Taylor suitable for beginners?

Yes, "Classical Mechanics" by Taylor is suitable for beginners as it starts with the basic concepts and gradually builds upon them. However, some prior knowledge of calculus and basic physics principles is recommended.

5. Can "Classical Mechanics" by Taylor be used for self-study?

Yes, "Classical Mechanics" by Taylor can be used for self-study as it includes detailed explanations and examples, as well as a variety of practice problems with solutions. However, it is always beneficial to seek guidance from a knowledgeable instructor or tutor.