Classical Mechanics Kleppner Problem

In summary, the larger piece of the projectile that explodes at the top of its trajectory lands at a distance of 8L/3 from the launch point. This is determined by applying the conservation of momentum at the turnover point and taking into account the horizontal velocity of the larger piece. The center of mass also falls at a distance of 2L from the launch point, showing the principle of conservation of momentum in action.
ypudi

Homework Statement

An Instrument carrying a projectile accidentally explodes at he top of its trajectory.The horizontal distance b/w the launch point and the point of explosion is L. The projectile breaks into 2 pieces which fly horizontally apart. The larger piece has three time the mass of the smaller one and returns to Earth at the launching station. How far away does the larger piece land??

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer is 4L/3. Just want to verify if this is correct...

Physics news on Phys.org
ypudi said:

Homework Statement

An Instrument carrying a projectile accidentally explodes at he top of its trajectory.The horizontal distance b/w the launch point and the point of explosion is L. The projectile breaks into 2 pieces which fly horizontally apart. The larger piece has three time the mass of the smaller one and returns to Earth at the launching station. How far away does the larger piece land??

Homework Equations

Conservation of Momentum in the x direction at the top most point.
Multipying it by an unknown t (where t is the time of ascent)
v(small mass )x t = L

we need to find V(large mass)x t.

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer is 4L/3. Just want to verify if this is correct...

it comes out as L+ L/3.

Can anyone solve this please and verify my answer!

Suppose there was no explosion. Then the whole mass would go another L, total of 2L before hitting the ground. The explosion increases the speed of the small piece, so it will go further than the 2L. So 4L/3 is too small.

You do have the right approach, doing a conservation of momentum at the turnover point where the explosion takes place. I agree with your initial speed of L/t. Maybe show me your momentum calc for the one mv before the collision and two after the collision, with 2 of the 3 speeds known. That must be where your difficulty is.

It may be profitable to think in terms of conservation of momentum for the center of mass of the system. Regardless of of what happens to the projectile, even if it explodes, the free-fall motion of its center of mass will remain the same! Where does that put the center of mass when the parts land? Where does that put the parts?

An Instrument carrying a projectile accidentally explodes at he top of its trajectory.The horizontal distance b/w the launch point and the point of explosion is L. The projectile breaks into 2 pieces which fly horizontally apart. The larger piece has three time the mass of the smaller one and the smaller one returns to Earth at the launching station. How far away does the larger piece land??

ypudi said:
An Instrument carrying a projectile accidentally explodes at he top of its trajectory.The horizontal distance b/w the launch point and the point of explosion is L. The projectile breaks into 2 pieces which fly horizontally apart. The larger piece has three time the mass of the smaller one and the smaller one returns to Earth at the launching station. How far away does the larger piece land??

It lands just as far as the first time the question was asked :smile:

My apologies. I had made an error in typing. It is the smaller piece that returns back to the launching station.
Thinking in terms of the conservation of momentum of center of mass. My answer seems correct. The centre of mass must be at the distance of L as it falls freely.

But shouldn't it be at a distance of 2L?

The center of mass will fallow the same trajectory as the projectile would have followed if it had not exploded.

Delphi51 said:
Suppose there was no explosion. Then the whole mass would go another L, total of 2L before hitting the ground. The explosion increases the speed of the small piece, so it will go further than the 2L. So 4L/3 is too small.

You do have the right approach, doing a conservation of momentum at the turnover point where the explosion takes place. I agree with your initial speed of L/t. Maybe show me your momentum calc for the one mv before the collision and two after the collision, with 2 of the 3 speeds known. That must be where your difficulty is.

The smaller piece comes back top the launching station. Hence the
V(s)/V(l)= 3/1

IF V(s)xt= L then it implies that V(l)xt =L/3.

wait let me show you the momentum conservation
that I had applied

V - velocity of unbroken piece.
V(s)- velocity of smaller piece
V(l)- Velocity of larger peice.
t(f)- time of ascent or descent
all velocities in x axis.

before explosion momentum = MV
after explosion momentum = M/4 x[V-V(s)]+ 3M/4[V(l)+V]

equating and removing M and solving we get
3V(l)= V(s)

V(s)xt(f)= L

therfore V(l)xt = L/3

I used m as the mass of the small piece, 3m for large piece, total 4m.
momentum before = momentum after
MV = MV + MV
4m*L/t = -m*L/t + 3m*v --> v = 5/3*L/t
Very tricky; better check to ensure that this results in the landed center of mass being 2L as Gneil saw so cleverly!

Yes, it does. the answer comes as 8L/3 and this gives the centr of mass cordintes as (2L,0) The trick is if we take assume velocities (like I did) it is important to define wrt to ground. The relation that i derived for the velocities is correct but it is wrt to each other.
Hence

V(s)xt is not equal to L rather [V(s)-V]x t = L

the larger piece travels father than the smaller piece aided by the horizontal velocity making the velocity wrt ground of the larger piece as V + V(l).An excellent problem sheerly because of its simplicity and I must thank you guys for this excellent discussion. I feel that I have learned a lot more than this problem aimed to teach.

My sentiments, too! I must try to remember the center of mass approach.

1. What is Classical Mechanics Kleppner Problem?

Classical Mechanics Kleppner Problem is a famous textbook written by Daniel Kleppner and Robert Kolenkow. It covers the fundamental principles and laws of classical mechanics, such as Newton's laws of motion, conservation of energy and momentum, and rotational motion.

2. Is the book suitable for beginners?

Yes, the book is suitable for beginners and is often used as a textbook in introductory physics courses. It is written in a clear and concise manner, making it easy to understand for students with little prior knowledge of classical mechanics.

3. Are there any solved examples in the book?

Yes, the book contains numerous solved examples and practice problems to help readers apply the concepts and principles learned in each chapter. These examples are essential for developing a strong understanding of classical mechanics.

4. Can this book be used for self-study?

Yes, the book can be used for self-study as it is well-structured and provides clear explanations and step-by-step solutions for the practice problems. However, it is recommended to have a basic understanding of calculus and physics before attempting to study this book on your own.

5. Is the book relevant for modern physics?

While the book primarily focuses on classical mechanics, many of the principles and equations covered are still relevant and used in modern physics. It provides a solid foundation for understanding more advanced topics in physics, such as quantum mechanics and relativity.