Classify the following improper integral with the parameter

In summary: If you're looking for a function which bounds the integral for α ≥ ..., you can try looking for a function which is greater than your integrand but has the same divergence, and which you can evaluate the integral of.
Hernaner28

Homework Statement

Discuss for alpha the convergence of the following improper integral:
[tex] \displaystyle \int\limits_{0}^{3}{\frac{{{x}^{3\alpha }}}{{{\left( 9-{{x}^{2}} \right)}^{\alpha }}}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, my attempt was to simplify the integral to:

[tex] \displaystyle \int\limits_{0}^{3}{{{\left( \frac{{{x}^{3}}}{9-{{x}^{2}}} \right)}^{\alpha }}}[/tex]

After that my idea was to bound the function above by [tex] \displaystyle {{x}^{3a}}[/tex] but I don't know if that's correct, because [tex] \displaystyle {{x}^{3a}}[/tex] is greater than the original function but it could happen that it's not greater for all x, so how can I find a function I can use to bound the function in the interval of integration [0,3]?

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
ANy help?

Hernaner28 said:

Homework Statement

[tex] \displaystyle \int\limits_{0}^{3}{\frac{{{x}^{3\alpha }}}{{{\left( 9-{{x}^{2}} \right)}^{\alpha }}}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, my attempt was to simplify the integral to:

[tex] \displaystyle \int\limits_{0}^{3}{{{\left( \frac{{{x}^{3}}}{9-{{x}^{2}}} \right)}^{\alpha }}}[/tex]

After that my idea was to bound the function above by [tex] \displaystyle {{x}^{3a}}[/tex] but I don't know if that's correct, because [tex] \displaystyle {{x}^{3a}}[/tex] is greater than the original function but it could happen that it's not greater for all x, so how can I find a function I can use to bound the function in the interval of integration [0,3]?

Thanks for your help.

For positive [itex]\alpha[/itex] your integrand diverges at x = 3, where the denominator is zero. How are you going to find a function which bounds that? I think you need a revised strategy to figure out the convergence properties of this integral. You might try choosing a function (or functions) which is greater than your integrand but has the same divergence, and which you can evaluate the integral of.

Similarly, for negative [itex]\alpha[/itex] your integrand diverges at x = 0.

Well, I did find two functions which bounds that:[tex] \dfrac{4x}{9-x^2}\leq \dfrac{x^3}{9-x^2}\leq \dfrac{9x}{9-x^2}[/tex]

Why you say I cannot bound it?

Now what can I do with that? It's still tough for me

Hernaner28 said:
Well, I did find two functions which bounds that:

[tex] \dfrac{4x}{9-x^2}\leq \dfrac{x^3}{9-x^2}\leq \dfrac{9x}{9-x^2}[/tex]

Why you say I cannot bound it?

Now what can I do with that? It's still tough for me

Perhaps I misunderstood your original post. It appeared that you were trying to bound the function with x3a rather than x3a/(9-x2).

In any event, I'm not sure if just using bounds alone are going to be the easiest way to show the result you want, at least for positive alpha. You might want to try changing variables first, and then finding a bound.

Another piece of knowledge that will be useful is the answer to this question: for what values of [itex]\alpha[/itex] does

[tex]\int_0^c du~\frac{1}{u^\alpha}[/tex]

converge, where the upper limit c is a finite constant?

Hernaner28 said:

Homework Statement

BTW:

I have this pet peeve about leaving the differential symbol out of integrals, dx, in this case.

[itex] \displaystyle \int\limits_{0}^{3}{\frac{{{x}^{3\alpha }}}{{{\left( 9-{{x}^{2}} \right)}^{\alpha }}}}\,dx[/itex]

Last edited:
SammyS said:
Actually, your integral diverges for α ≥ ...

I think the entire point of the OP's problem is to find that out! You probably shouldn't just give it away! =P

Mute said:
I think the entire point of the OP's problem is to find that out! You probably shouldn't just give it away! =P
Oops ! I edited that out.

You might want to also.

SammyS said:
Oops ! I edited that out.

You might want to also.

Too late to completely edit it out the fact that it diverges for some values of alpha; fortunately I had the foresight to remove the value from the quoted post when I posted.

1. What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral where one or both of the limits of integration are infinite or the function being integrated is undefined at one or more points in the interval of integration.

2. What is a parameter in an improper integral?

A parameter in an improper integral is a variable used to represent a constant in the integrand. It allows the integral to be evaluated for different values of the parameter.

3. How do you classify an improper integral with a parameter?

An improper integral with a parameter is classified based on the behavior of the integrand as the parameter approaches certain values. It can be classified as convergent, divergent, or conditionally convergent.

4. What is the significance of classifying an improper integral with a parameter?

Classifying an improper integral with a parameter helps determine the behavior of the integral and whether it can be evaluated. It also provides information about the behavior of the function being integrated as the parameter changes.

5. How do you evaluate an improper integral with a parameter?

To evaluate an improper integral with a parameter, the integral is first classified and then the appropriate techniques, such as using limits or substitution, are used to find the value. The result may depend on the value of the parameter.