Cleaning Rod lenses in optics equipment

In summary, you may want to try optical-grade wipes, methyl alcohol, and/or a vacuum cleaner with a thin nozzle.
xusmee
Hi,
We have an optical equipment that has a narrow entrance slit, on the other end of the narrow entrance slit two rod lenses are exposed. They are getting dirty for various reasons. Does anybody know of any handheld air/vacuum cleaning with thin nozzle that can penetrate the slit and even remove dust particles accumlated on the lenses?

Much appreciated...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums!

Have you tried optical-grade wipes, along with an appropriate liquid? Lint-free t-shirt material may or may not work, but if it's expensive, and/or hard to replace, you should probably go with the optical-grade wipes. It absolutely has to be wet, otherwise, it may scratch.

CAVEAT: my only experience in this field is from undergrad physics labs, and in cleaning of my glass masks. Also, don't clean front-surface with isopropanol / acetone! Depending on how it was made (and they're usually sputtered / evaporated / CVD'd metal on glass), you might end up rubbing it off!

I would try this first:
http://www.thorlabs.com/thorProduct.cfm?partNumber=CA3

13216-lrg.jpg

I already tried the air can technique but it seems that the nozzle is thicker in diameter and I can't insert it into the slit and thereby spray on the rod lenses.It seems i am just dispersing the dust around the area..Same is the problem with making physical contact w/ the lenses. It's hard to make physical contact without opening up the module. Would you know if a thinner nozzle is available w/ the dust can.

The slits should be removable. If possible remove the slits, then dampen the center of a optical grade lens tissue with few drops of high grade methyl alcohol. Drag the moist spot across the lens. Ideally the dry end of the tissue will adsorb the alcohol as you drag leaving the lens dry behind. Repeat until the lens is clean.

If you can't get to the lens it will be nearly impossible clean.

Yes, trying to get to the lenses through the slit is pointless.

It sounds like the lenses are in some kind of sealed-off enclosure. If that enclosure could be pressurized slightly, then dirt and dust would not get in there in the first place.

I'm also wondering, if the slit is the only way to get to the lenses, just how is all that dirt getting in there?

The module that contains the lens is part of a bigger module so there are various other sources of dust getting in there. Think of it like a machine and the module that contains the lens is small part of the machine. I can take the machine apart and clean the lenses with physical application but this is not so useful in the field or in hospitals wherever a field service tech has to do it. So i was thinking of some way in which we do not have to open the whole thing (getting it back together involves lot of production time+labor).

1. How often should I clean my rod lenses?

The frequency of cleaning rod lenses will depend on how frequently the optics equipment is used and the environment it is used in. As a general rule, it is recommended to clean rod lenses at least once a week.

2. What is the best method for cleaning rod lenses?

The best method for cleaning rod lenses is to use a lens cleaning solution and a microfiber cloth. First, gently blow away any loose dust or debris on the surface of the lens. Then, apply a small amount of cleaning solution to the cloth and gently wipe the lens in a circular motion. Avoid using excessive pressure or touching the lens with your fingers.

3. Can I use regular household cleaners to clean rod lenses?

No, it is not recommended to use regular household cleaners on rod lenses as they may contain harsh chemicals that can damage the lens coating. Stick to using specialized lens cleaning solutions or isopropyl alcohol for cleaning.

4. How do I know if my rod lenses are damaged?

If you notice any scratches, smudges, or discoloration on the surface of the lens, it may indicate that the lens is damaged. In this case, it is best to replace the lens to ensure optimal performance of your optics equipment.

5. Is there a specific technique for cleaning rod lenses?

Yes, there are a few techniques that can help ensure effective cleaning of rod lenses. First, always start from the center of the lens and work your way out in a circular motion. Also, avoid using excessive pressure and do not touch the lens with your fingers. Lastly, make sure to use a clean, lint-free cloth for wiping the lens.