'Close Encounters' and Galaxy formation

In summary: I think it talks about how random close encounters are important for galaxy formation. There is a link in the first paragraph.In summary, according to this textbook, the role of close encounters in galaxy formation is much greater than the role of stars. These random encounters between galaxies will eventually turn spirals into sphericals and sphericals into spirals if given enough time.
tomeatworld
So I was reading through a textbook and came across the term 'close encounter' but no definition or explination of what it means. From what I can make out, I would assume it's referring to asteroid interaction with young galaxies and the role in forming galaxies and stars but this is all guesswork. Can anyone give me a good explination/link to an explination of what exactly 'close encounters' refers to/means.

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
tomeatworld said:
So I was reading through a textbook and came across the term 'close encounter' but no definition or explination of what it means. From what I can make out, I would assume it's referring to asteroid interaction with young galaxies and the role in forming galaxies and stars but this is all guesswork. Can anyone give me a good explination/link to an explination of what exactly 'close encounters' refers to/means.

Cheers!

I think we'd need the phrase in context.

Ok, I can't find the page again, but it read something along the lines of "random close encounters play a much greater role in the evolution of galaxies than stars". I was trying to work it out, but would rather have someone who knows what it means help!

Sounds like they're talking about random close encounters between neighbouring galaxies.

(Asteroids will not play a role in galaxy formation.)

Ah. Evolution, not creation. Missed that.

Yes, they are surely talking about random close encounters between galaxies. Look at differences between spherical galaxies and spiral galaxies.

I'm not sure I understand. How can the close encounters of galaxies cause the creation of different typed galaxies.

As a guess, I'd think that maybe the close encounters will cause the slowing of (any) rotation and so elliptical galaxies.

tomeatworld said:
I'm not sure I understand. How can the close encounters of galaxies cause the creation of different typed galaxies.

As a guess, I'd think that maybe the close encounters will cause the slowing of (any) rotation and so elliptical galaxies.

Spiral galaxies are finely detailed. This cannot occur if they're being buffeted all the time. Close encounters tend to turn spirals into sphericals. Sphericals tend to flatten into spirals if given lots of time.

Wiki has some stuff on galactic evolution.

1. How do galaxies form?

Galaxies form through a process of gravitational attraction between gas, dust, and stars. This leads to the formation of larger and larger structures, eventually creating a galaxy.

2. What is a 'close encounter' in relation to galaxy formation?

A 'close encounter' refers to the interaction between two or more galaxies, where their gravitational forces influence and shape each other's structures.

3. Can close encounters affect the formation of galaxies?

Yes, close encounters can have a significant impact on the formation of galaxies. They can trigger bursts of star formation, change the shape and structure of a galaxy, and even lead to the merging of multiple galaxies.

4. How do scientists study close encounters and galaxy formation?

Scientists use various methods, such as computer simulations, observations from telescopes and satellites, and mathematical models, to study close encounters and galaxy formation. These methods allow them to understand the processes involved and make predictions about the evolution of galaxies.

5. Are there different types of galaxies formed through close encounters?

Yes, there are different types of galaxies that can form through close encounters, such as elliptical, spiral, and irregular galaxies. The type of galaxy formed depends on the initial conditions and the dynamics of the encounter.