Closed and Open Sets Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of open and closed sets in the subspace topology of the set of rationals. The question is asked about intervals in the set of reals that have the property of being both open and closed in the set of rationals, and the property of being closed but not open. The conversation then delves into examples and explanations to better understand the definitions of open and closed sets in the subspace topology. The final part of the conversation raises the question of how to prove a set is open or closed without referring to the underlying topology, to which it is pointed out that the concepts of open and closed rely on the topology itself.
Ed Quanta
Which intervals [a,b] in the set of reals have the property that (the set of rationals and [a,b]) is both open and closed in the set of rationals? And the property closed but not open?

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you rephrase the question please. I'll guess that you want to consider [a,b]nQ, the interesction of the interval with the rationals, and that you mean the subspace topology on Q.

When are sets open and closed in the subspace topology? Ie look at the definition ofopen and closed for the subspace topology.

Yes, you are right. I meant to say Q is a subspace of the Reals.

Ok, so maybe looking at this concrete example will help clear things up for me.

We have the set S={x is an element of Q;2<=x^2<=3}

This set should be open in Q since for any a in Set S, we can find b>a such that b is also in S

This set is not open in the Reals since when a= 3^1/2, we cannot find b>a such that b is in S

This s et is closed in Q since taking the complement of set S, Q/S={(negative infinity, -(3^1/2)) V (-(2^1/2),2^1/2) V (2^1/2,infinity)], we can see Q/S is open

This set is not closed in the Reals

Did I mess this up at all?

This set should be open in Q since for any a in Set S, we can find b>a such that b is also in S
This doesn't prove that it's open, but it's on the right track. You have to show something similar for being able to find a b < a, which you can easily do. But I would also try to be more precise. The above would be enough to show that it is open, but that's because it implies something else, which in turn, by definition, implies that the set is open. To be rigorous, you should show these implications (and it should be very easy).
This set is not open in the Reals since when a= 3^1/2, we cannot find b>a such that b is in S
But 3^1/2 is not in S. Note that S only contains rationals, and the root of 3 is irrational. This set is not open in the reals, but for a different reason. If S is open in R, then for each x in S, there is an open interval I such that x is in I, and I is a subset of S. Note that an open interval in Q is different from an open interval in R. An open interval of Q around each x in S exists such that Q is a subset of S. An open interval of R around some x in S would contain rationals and irrationals, but since S contains only rationals, this open interval cannot be a subset of S.

Good point. I forgot that 3^1/2 wouldn't be included in my set since it is irrational. How do I write down the complements for set S then? Can I still write what I previously wrote down?

Ed Quanta said:
Good point. I forgot that 3^1/2 wouldn't be included in my set since it is irrational. How do I write down the complements for set S then? Can I still write what I previously wrote down?

S doesn't satisfy the requirements mentioned in the original question; you were looking for intervals in the reals, but S is only an interval in the rationals.

I really think you should look caerfully at the definition of subspace topology. U is open in Q iff there is an open set V in R such that QnV=U. Similarly for closed subsets. If you just think about the definitions the answer is quite easy.
(and as in every topological space, Q itself is open and closed in the subspace topology, but neither in R).

I get the impression he's trying to approach it from a purely set theoretic treatment, such as for a class, and may not have the benefit of treating it topologically.

inquire4more said:
I get the impression he's trying to approach it from a purely set theoretic treatment, such as for a class, and may not have the benefit of treating it topologically.

How do you prove that a set is open or closed without referring to the underlying topology?

How does "open" and "closed" even have any meaning without topology?

What are closed and open sets?

Closed and open sets refer to subsets of a larger set in mathematics. A closed set is a set that includes all of its boundary points, while an open set does not include its boundary points.

What is the difference between a closed and open set?

The main difference between a closed and open set is their boundary points. A closed set includes all of its boundary points, while an open set does not. Another way to think about it is that a closed set is "sealed" and contains all of its elements, while an open set is "open" and may or may not contain all of its elements.

How do you determine if a set is closed or open?

To determine if a set is closed or open, you can look at its boundary points. If all of the boundary points are included in the set, then it is a closed set. If none of the boundary points are included, then it is an open set.

Why are closed and open sets important in mathematics?

Closed and open sets are important in mathematics because they help us define and understand boundary points, which are crucial for concepts like continuity and convergence. They also have many applications in areas such as topology and analysis.

Can a set be both closed and open?

Yes, a set can be both closed and open. This type of set is known as a clopen set. In some cases, a set may be neither closed nor open, which means it does not include all of its boundary points and does not have an open boundary. This type of set is known as a non-closed and non-open set.