Why does the characteristic function not converge in the L1 space?

Thanks for the clarification!In summary, when proving a closed ball in ##L_1[0,1]## is not compact, it is enough to prove that the space is not sequentially compact. A counterexample to this is the sequence of functions ##g_n:x \mapsto x^n##. This sequence is bounded and would have a subsequence converging pointwise to a function that is not continuous, therefore it cannot converge to a map in ##L_1[0,1]##. Similarly, another example is the unit ball in Hilbert space with vertices ## e_i = \delta_i^j ##, where the difference between any two vertices is bounded below by a positive constant, making it impossible for any sub
member 428835
Hi PF!

When proving a closed ball in ##L_1[0,1]## is not compact, I came across a proof, which states it is enough to prove that the space is not sequentially compact. Counter example: consider the sequence of functions ##g_n:x \mapsto x^n##. The sequence is bounded as for all ##n\in \mathbb N, \|g_n\|=1##. If ##(g_n)## would have a convergent subsequence, the subsequence would converge pointwise to the function equal to 0 on ##[0,1)## and to 1 at 1. As this function is not continuous, ##(g_n)## cannot have a subsequence converging to a map in ##L_1[0,1]##.

Why is it that because ##x=1## does not converge to the same thing as ##x\in[0,1)## this implies there are no subsequences converging to a map in this space?

Original proof here (second proof):
http://www.mathcounterexamples.net/a-non-compact-closed-ball/

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you may have misread the article you linked. It seems as if the space there is not L1[0,1], but C[0,1]. I.e. this sequence does converge in L1 but not in C, i.e. it has an integrable limit but not a continuous one. You might be interested in the Riesz theorem mentioned there, that the closed unit ball is not compact in any infinite dimensional Banach space. This theorem is proved in an elementary way in chapter V, p. 109, of Foundations of Modern Analysis, by Jean Dieudonne'.

By the way, the first tipoff was that an L1 convergent sequence need not have a pointwise convergent subsequence, but only one that converges almost everywhere. i.e. the integral cannot detect erratic behavior at a single point.

Last edited:
mathwonk said:
I think you may have misread the article you linked. It seems as if the space there is not L1[0,1], but C[0,1]. I.e. this sequence does converge in L1 but not in C, i.e. it has an integrable limit but not a continuous one. You might be interested in the Riesz theorem mentioned there, that the closed unit ball is not compact in any infinite dimensional Banach space. This theorem is proved in an elementary way in chapter V, p. 109, of Foundations of Modern Analysis, by Jean Dieudonne'.

By the way, the first tipoff was that an L1 convergent sequence need not have a pointwise convergent subsequence, but only one that converges almost everywhere. i.e. the integral cannot detect erratic behavior at a single point.
Thanks for replying. I actually found the theorem you've mentioned, but it is a little more advanced than I am comfortable with. I did track down Reisz theorem in a more readable form here (see first four lines of the converse):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riesz's_lemma
But even this I don't fully track. I did see a counter example ##f_n = 2^n \textbf{1}_{[0,1/2^n]}##. Can you explain to me how this counter example works though?

joshmccraney said:
But even this I don't fully track. I did see a counter example fn=2n1[0,1/2n]f_n = 2^n \textbf{1}_{[0,1/2^n]}. Can you explain to me how this counter example works though?
this sequence is bounded in ##L^1[0,1]## ,on the other hand ##\|f_i-f_j\|_{L^1[0,1]}\ge const>0,\quad i\ne j## so that this sequence does not contain a convergent subsequence

wrobel said:
this sequence is bounded in ##L^1[0,1]## ,on the other hand ##\|f_i-f_j\|_{L^1[0,1]}\ge const>0,\quad i\ne j## so that this sequence does not contain a convergent subsequence
Isn't this sequence unbounded though? ##\lim_{n\to \infty}f_n = \lim_{n\to \infty}2^n \textbf{1}_{[0,1/2^n]}## and since ##2^n \to \infty##, how is this bounded?

you must remember again what the notion of size is in L1, namely it is the size of the integral, so the point here is that the integrals are bounded. this is the same issue that arose above, of confusing the norms in C and in L1, i.e. the maximum value of |f|, versus the integral of |f|.

Likes member 428835
mathwonk said:
you must remember again what the notion of size is in L1, namely it is the size of the integral, so the point here is that the integrals are bounded. this is the same issue that arose above, of confusing the norms in C and in L1, i.e. the maximum value of |f|, versus the integral of |f|.
Thanks! So it seems obvious ##\| f_n(x) \|= 1## if ##x \in [0,1/2^n]##. But why does ##\|f_i-f_j \|> 0## imply no subsequence converges in ##[0,1]##?

that is not what was said. he said that difference is not just positive but bounded below by a positive constant. since for a sequence no two of whose terms ever get close, the same holds for any subsequence, thus no subsequence is even cauchy.

Likes member 428835
mathwonk said:
that is not what was said. he said that difference is not just positive but bounded below by a positive constant. since for a sequence no two of whose terms ever get close, the same holds for any subsequence, thus no subsequence is even cauchy.
Brilliant! And thanks!

So let me ask, what does the bold 1 denote? I just assumed ##f_n = 2^n## if ##x \in [0,1/2^n]## else ##f_n = 0##.

Another standard example is the unit ball in Hilbert space with vertices ## e_i = \delta_i^j ## . Then ## || e_i- e_j ||> \sqrt 2 ## and no convergent subsequence. ##||a-b||^2=<a-b,a-b>=2 ## . So no subsequence will be Cauchy. Note that the result on the equivalence with not having a convergent subsequence only applies to metric spaces.

I believe you are right. I.e. that the bold 1 denotes the characteristic function of the following subset, i.e. the function that equals 1 on that set and zero elsewhere. To me a more common notation is a "chi" (for characteristic) rather than a "1".

Likes member 428835 and WWGD
Yes, I have seen it used this way too, as the characteristic function.

What is a closed ball in L1?

A closed ball in L1 is a subset of the vector space L1, which consists of all real-valued functions that are absolutely integrable on the interval [0,1]. It is defined as the set of all points within a given distance (radius) from a fixed center point, where the distance is measured using the L1 norm.

Why is a closed ball in L1 not compact?

A closed ball in L1 is not compact because it does not satisfy the Heine-Borel theorem, which states that a subset of a metric space is compact if and only if it is closed and bounded. In L1, the closed ball is closed, but it is not bounded since it contains functions with unbounded norms. Therefore, it is not compact.

What is the difference between compactness and closedness?

Compactness and closedness are two different concepts in mathematics. A set is said to be compact if it is both closed and bounded, while a set is said to be closed if it contains all its limit points. A closed ball in L1 is an example of a set that is closed but not compact.

Can a closed ball in L1 be compact in a different metric space?

Yes, a closed ball in L1 can be compact in a different metric space. The compactness of a set depends on the metric or distance function used to measure the distance between points. If a different metric is used, the closed ball in L1 may satisfy the Heine-Borel theorem and be considered compact.

What is an example of a compact set in L1?

An example of a compact set in L1 is the set of continuous functions on the interval [0,1]. This set is closed and bounded in L1, satisfying the Heine-Borel theorem and making it compact. It is also a subset of L1, making it an example of a compact set in L1.