1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Closing a Gate

1. Jan 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A gate to a bullpen is open at a right angle to the fence and the bull is rushing toward the opening to get out. The farmer estimates that the bull will reach the opening in 3 sec. so he pushes at the end of the gate (always at a right angle) with a force of 100N. The moment of inertia of the gate about the hinge is 1,000 kg m^2 and the gate length is 3.

a. What is the magnitude of the torque applied by the farmer.
    b. What is the rotational kinetic energy of the gate after 3 seconds
    c. Through what angle will the gate have rotated after 3 sec.
    d. Will the gate be closed.

2. Relevant equations

Torque, KE roational, Angular Kinematics

3. The attempt at a solution

a. Torque= rFsin(theata) = (3)(100)sin90= 300Nm
    b. KE= (1/2)(I)(w^2) = (1/2)(1000)(?)
    c. angle= at^2/2?
    d. ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2009 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Part a is correct; for parts b, c, and d, you first need the equation (derived from Newton's 2nd law) that allows you to calculate the angular acceleration caused by a net torque.

4. Jan 3, 2009 #3
    If I use torque=Ia and solve for a I will get a=torque/I = (300)/(1000) = .3 rad/sec^2 as the angular acceleration. For the w value after 3 sec it would be .9rad/sec? So I could then do the KE= (1/2)(I)(w^2) = (1/2)(1000)(.9^2) = 405 Then for part c could I use Theta= at^2/2 and get (.3)(3^2)/2 = 1.35 radians. Is any of this right? What would I do for the last part?

5. Jan 3, 2009 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, excellent. Don't forget the units for energy, 405 __? For the last part, you know that the gate has rotated 1.35 radians. How many radians would it need to rotate to a completely closed position, given that it started out at a right angle to the fence?

6. Jan 3, 2009 #5
    pi/2 would be the angle needed to close the gate, but 1.35 is less than pi/2, so it would not be closed in time.

7. Jan 4, 2009 #6

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Correct. Now don't forget the units for the kinetic energy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?