Maximum Torque Calculation for a Given Force and Angle

In summary, "Max Torque: 70 N" refers to the maximum amount of rotational force that can be applied to an object. It is typically measured using a torque wrench in units of Newton meters (Nm) or Newton centimeters (Ncm). The maximum torque can be increased or decreased by changing the amount of force or distance from the center of rotation, but exceeding it can cause the object to break or fail. In real-world applications, max torque is important for determining strength, performance, and safety in engineering and mechanics.
amy098yay

Homework Statement

2. Homework Equations [/B]
I was given this info
r=1.5 m
d=3 m
F= 50
angle= 110 degrees

The Attempt at a Solution

T=Fsin
T= (1.5)(50)sin(110)
T=70 N

I attempted the solution^ to get (maximum) torque.

Physics news on Phys.org
i am unsure if my answer is correct or not*

You need to specify units for all the given quantities.

The units of torque are not Newtons. What are they?

Homework Statement

2. Homework Equations [/B]
I was given this info
r=1.5 m
d=3 m
F= 50 N
angle= 110 degrees

The Attempt at a Solution

T=Fsin
T= (1.5)(50)sin(110)
T=70 J (joules)

I attempted the solution^ to get (maximum) torque.

Although mathematically torque and work have the same units, the convention is to use units of F*L when talking about torque, and joules when talking about work.

thank you for notifying me about the units being used in this problem, so how would i go about getting MAXIMUM TORQUE?

amy098yay said:
thank you for notifying me about the units being used in this problem, so how would i go about getting MAXIMUM TORQUE?
Change the angle of application of the force.

would it be 180-110=10 degrees
so
T=Fsin
T= (1.5)(50)sin(10)
T=13.0 J (joules) ?

amy098yay said:
would it be 180-110=10 degrees
Are you sure about this calculation?

so
T=Fsin
T= (1.5)(50)sin(10)
T=13.0 J (joules) ?

Think about it like this For what angle is the sine a maximum?

90?

T=Fsin
T= (1.5)(50)sin(90)
T=75 (joules)

CWaters is correct, this thread duplicates a question in another thread. This thread is closed.

What is the meaning of "Max Torque: 70 N"?

Max Torque refers to the maximum amount of rotational force that can be applied to an object. In this case, it is 70 Newtons (N), which is a unit of measurement for force.

How is "Max Torque: 70 N" measured?

Max Torque is typically measured using a torque wrench, which applies a specific amount of force to a lever arm. The reading on the wrench will indicate the amount of torque in units of Newton meters (Nm) or Newton centimeters (Ncm).

Can "Max Torque: 70 N" be increased or decreased?

Yes, the maximum torque of an object can be increased or decreased by changing the amount of force or the distance from the center of rotation. It can also be affected by factors such as friction and the material properties of the object.

What happens if "Max Torque: 70 N" is exceeded?

If the maximum torque of an object is exceeded, it can cause the object to break, deform, or fail in some other way. This is why it is important to know and adhere to the maximum torque specifications for a given object.

How is "Max Torque: 70 N" relevant in real-world applications?

Max Torque is relevant in many real-world applications, particularly in engineering and mechanics. It is used to determine the strength and durability of materials, the performance of machines and vehicles, and the safety of various structures and devices.