Closing IE While Running a Game: Resource-Saving or Risky?

• Thread starter Mudvaynelethaldosage
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game Running
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the ctl+alt+del shortcut to shut down Internet Explorer while playing a video game in order to save system resources. The person tried it and it worked, but was unable to restart IE and had to reboot their computer multiple times before the mouse started working again. They also mentioned that they sometimes experience mouse problems when rebooting. The conversation concludes with a comment about the difference between explorer.exe and iexplorer.exe.
Mudvaynelethaldosage
question. Is it a good idea to use ctl+alt+del to shut down Internet Explorer
while running a video game? The intent would be to save system resources.
If it matters, the game is Fallout Tactics and I run windows XP.

I tried it and it worked, except for the fact that I couldn't restart internet explorer. I had to reboot.
When I did, my mouse cursor wouldn't move. Restarted again and the mouse still didn't work. A third time and the mouse is working now. I don't know if this mouse problem is relevant or not, it sometimes does this when I reboot.

If I do shut down IE, how would I start it up again? I can't really navigate my way to the executable file.

Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
Generally its not a good idea to even use IE.

explorer.exe isn't the same thing as iexplorer.exe

explorer.exe is the frontend GUI you see
iexplorer.exe is the browser

thank you for specifying, Dduardo. I closed explorer.exe, lol. I see that's now a good idea.

1. How can I close Internet Explorer while a game is running?

You can press the "Alt" and "F4" keys at the same time to close the current window, or go to the "File" menu and click on "Exit". Alternatively, you can right-click on the Internet Explorer icon in the taskbar and select "Close window".

2. Will closing Internet Explorer while a game is running interrupt or affect the game?

It depends on the game. Some games may save your progress automatically, while others may not. It is always best to save your progress before closing the browser to avoid any potential interruptions.

3. Can I switch to a different tab or window while a game is running in Internet Explorer?

Yes, you can switch to a different tab or window while a game is running in Internet Explorer. However, this may affect the performance of the game and cause it to lag or crash.

4. Is it safe to close Internet Explorer without properly exiting the game first?

It is generally safe to close Internet Explorer without properly exiting the game first. However, it is always recommended to exit the game properly to avoid any potential data loss or game glitches.

5. How can I prevent my game from closing when I accidentally close Internet Explorer?

You can prevent your game from closing when you accidentally close Internet Explorer by saving your progress frequently and making sure to exit the game properly before closing the browser. You can also try using a different browser or playing the game in full screen mode to avoid accidentally closing the browser.