Cluster Decomposition.Vanishing of the connected part of the S matrix.

In summary, the conversation discusses the vanishing of an equation at large spatial distances and the requirement of a single delta function to ensure momentum conservation. The solution to this problem involves integrating an expression with a 3-dimensional delta function, which causes the exponentials to become coupled. As a result, the integral vanishes when some coordinates go to infinity, but not when all go to infinity together due to the cancellation of terms. This is supported by the Riemann-Lebesgue theorem.
Alex Cros
Im following Weinberg's QFT volume I and I am tying to show that the following equation vanishes at large spatial distance of the possible particle clusters (pg 181 eq 4.3.8):

[tex] S_{x_1'x_2'... , x_1 x_2}^C = \int d^3p_1' d^3p_2'...d^3p_1d^3p_2...S_{p_1'p_2'... , p_1 p_2}^C \times e^{i p_1' . x_1'}... [/tex]

(i.e the Fourier of the connected part of the corresponding S matrix element) vanishes when the distance between any two particles (states) is great.
He says that this only happens when this matrix element contains precisely one single delta function that ensures 3-momentum conservation:

[tex] S_{p_1'p_2'... , p_1 p_2}^C = \delta^3(p_1'+p_2'+... - p_1 - p_2)\times \delta(energy \ conservation) \times C_{p_1'p_2'... , p_1 p_2} [/tex]

Can somebody tell my how this makes the first equation vanish when the relative distance of some states is large?

PD: sorry for the poor explanation but I am not going to explain it better than Weinberg, I am just pointing out where I am having troubles.

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose that one x under the integral (4.3.8) goes to infinity. This means that the integral over the corresponding p is a high-frequency Fourier transform of a smooth function. In the infinite frequency limit, such a Fourier transform goes to zero. The same is true when all x's go to infinity in different directions, i.e., all particles separate.

Eugene.

Likes Alex Cros
meopemuk said:
Suppose that one x under the integral (4.3.8) goes to infinity. This means that the integral over the corresponding p is a high-frequency Fourier transform of a smooth function. In the infinite frequency limit, such a Fourier transform goes to zero. The same is true when all x's go to infinity in different directions, i.e., all particles separate.

Eugene.

I disagree, because translational invariance tells us that if all coordinates go to infinity together the S matrix should be invariant.
I think I solved the problem yesterday, when you integrate expression (with this 3-spacial delta) 4.3.8 the exponentials become "coupled" i.e. if you integrate say p_1 then the exponential for exp(i p_1 x_1) becomes exp(ix_1(-all other momenta)) then by the Riemann-Lebesgue theorem the integral vanishes when some of the coordinates go to infinity BUT NOT IF ALL go to infinity together since they would cancel and the theorem wouldn't apply.

Correct me if I am wrong!

1. What is cluster decomposition and how does it relate to the S matrix?

Cluster decomposition is a theoretical framework used in quantum field theory to study the behavior of particles in high-energy collisions. It describes how the scattering amplitudes (represented by the S matrix) of particles can be decomposed into simpler building blocks called clusters.

2. What is the significance of the connected part of the S matrix vanishing?

The connected part of the S matrix represents the interactions between particles in a scattering process. When it vanishes, it means that there are no interactions or correlations between the particles, and they are simply scattering independently. This is an important result in certain theories, such as the Yang-Mills theory, as it simplifies calculations and allows for a better understanding of the underlying physics.

3. How is cluster decomposition related to the concept of asymptotic freedom?

Asymptotic freedom is a property of some quantum field theories where the strength of the interactions between particles decreases at high energies. Cluster decomposition is closely related to this concept, as it allows for the separation of high-energy scattering processes into simpler, non-interacting clusters. This is possible because of the asymptotic freedom of the theory.

4. Can cluster decomposition be applied to all quantum field theories?

No, cluster decomposition is only applicable to certain types of quantum field theories, such as those with asymptotic freedom. It also requires the theory to have a well-defined S matrix, which is not the case for all quantum field theories.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding cluster decomposition and the vanishing of the connected part of the S matrix?

Understanding cluster decomposition and the vanishing of the connected part of the S matrix is crucial for making predictions and calculations in high-energy physics experiments. It allows for a better understanding of the underlying physics and can lead to more accurate predictions and interpretations of experimental data.