1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Clustering Tendency

1. Nov 19, 2006 #1
    This is a general question, not specific to any one homework problem just a concept I must understand in order to figure out all of my homework. Does clustering tendency increase as atomic radii between substances A and B become more similar? Clustering tendency may not be particularly clear. What I mean is if there is a substance A and B with very similar atomic radii, are they more likely to dislike eachother or like eachother. Lets say A is MgO and B is NiO. This now is a specific homework question, admittedly. It seems to me that A and B would like eachother becuase the radius of Mg = radius Ni and therefore there would be a low clustering tendecny - that is MgO would not feel compelled to stay with other MgOs becuase NiO is a comparable substance. However MgO and CaO would want to self-cluster because they dislike each other because the radi between Mg and Ca is drastically different. Is this logic incorrect?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?