CMB: Understanding Uniformity & Isotropy

• Thread starter vincentm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cmb
In summary, the conversation discusses the uniformity of Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB) radiation. It is argued that due to the uneven distribution of sources near the sun or in our galaxy, the majority of CMB radiation must come from distant parts of the universe. This is due to the fact that the intensity of radiation decreases with distance, while the number of sources increases. Therefore, the CMB is dominated by contributions from distant sources, despite their lower intensity.
vincentm
Ok, I'm reading up on the Cosmic Microwave background radiation guys. And I'm at a part that confuses me (actually i kinda don't understand the whole thing, but I'm trying) regarding the uniformity or isotropy. If someone can put this in a simpler form so that i can understand it easier i'd highly appreciate it, thanks in advance for your help :smile:
The following simple argument shows. Any radiation produced near the sun, in our galaxy, or even in nearby galaxies would undoubtedly be unevenly distributed. Therefore, we assume that the sources of the radiation are evenly distributed throughout space. Suppose we divide the universe into a large number of concentric and equally spaced spherical shells, all centered on and enclosing the earth. In this case, the amount of radiation coming from sources within any pair of adjacent shells is the same, because the area of a sphere increases with distance in just the same way as the intensity of the radiation decreases. The number of emitting sources increases with the area, and the flux from each source decreases as the square of it's distance. A uniform background radiation must come from mostly distant parts of the universe, where the majority of the sources are found. Very little of the radiation could originate in our local region of space and any isotropic background radiation must be produced at cosmological distances.

Space news on Phys.org
The intensity of radiation from objects within each concentric 'shell' decrease proportionate to the square of the distance [from earth], however, the average number of objects within each shell [assuming uniform density as indicated by observation] increases with respect to the cube of the distance [from earth]. Hence, the total background radiation [CMB] is dominated by contributions from distant sources. What they lack in intensity is more than made up by sheer numbers.

Last edited:

Related to CMB: Understanding Uniformity & Isotropy

1. What is CMB?

CMB, or Cosmic Microwave Background, is a faint radiation that permeates the entire universe and is believed to be the remnant heat of the Big Bang.

2. How was CMB discovered?

CMB was first discovered in 1964 by Arno Penzias and Robert Wilson, who were trying to eliminate background noise in their radio antenna and found a persistent signal that was coming from all directions.

3. Why is the uniformity and isotropy of CMB important?

The uniformity and isotropy of CMB provide evidence for the Big Bang theory and support the idea that the universe is homogeneous and isotropic on a large scale.

4. How is CMB used to study the early universe?

By studying the tiny fluctuations in the temperature of CMB, scientists can gain insights into the early universe and its evolution, including the formation of galaxies and structures.

5. What are some current research efforts regarding CMB?

Some current research efforts include mapping the CMB with greater precision, studying its polarization, and using CMB data to test and refine theories of cosmology.