CNO Fusion Cross-sections for proton nitrogen-15

In summary, the conversation discusses the CNO cycle and the reactions involved in producing carbon-12 and oxygen-16. The wiki page mentions a minor branch where the final reaction produces oxygen-16 instead of carbon-12 and an alpha particle. The EXFOR data shows that the cross section for p,g is much higher than p,a at Sun-like temperatures, leading to the question of why p,a is still considered a minor reaction. The question also raises the possibility of EXFOR misplotting the data for p,g.
cmb
I was reading the wiki page on CNO [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNO_cycle ] which says; for CNO-II;
"In a minor branch of the above reaction, occurring in the Sun's core 0.04% of the time, the final reaction involving 15N...does not produce carbon-12 and an alpha particle, but instead produces oxygen-16 "

Looking at the data on EXFOR the cross section for p,g is several orders of magnitude above p,a at Sun-ish 1~2 keV temperatures.

So my question is: Why does p,a even get a look-in on that reaction when p,g seems so much more likely based on EXFOR cross-section, yet is described as a minor side reaction?
p_15N_cs.jpg

Has EXFOR misplotted the p,g data?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure why my original post title has been changed, as it doesn't seem to have any relation on the question I am asking.

What is CNO fusion?

CNO fusion is a type of nuclear fusion reaction that occurs in stars, where carbon, nitrogen, and oxygen atoms fuse together to form heavier elements.

What is the significance of CNO fusion cross-sections for proton nitrogen-15?

CNO fusion cross-sections for proton nitrogen-15 are important because they determine the rate at which the CNO fusion reaction occurs. This rate is crucial in understanding the energy production and evolution of stars.

How do scientists measure CNO fusion cross-sections for proton nitrogen-15?

Scientists use particle accelerators to create proton beams and collide them with nitrogen-15 nuclei. By measuring the resulting fusion reaction, they can determine the cross-sections for CNO fusion.

What factors affect CNO fusion cross-sections for proton nitrogen-15?

The main factors that affect CNO fusion cross-sections for proton nitrogen-15 are the temperature and density of the stars where the reaction occurs. Higher temperatures and densities lead to higher cross-sections and thus a faster rate of CNO fusion.

Why is studying CNO fusion cross-sections for proton nitrogen-15 important?

Studying CNO fusion cross-sections for proton nitrogen-15 can help us better understand the energy production and evolution of stars. It can also provide insights into the formation of heavier elements in the universe.