Coefficient of friction and forces proof

In summary, to find the minimum force needed to move a box of weight W with a coefficient of static friction of mu on a horizontal floor at an angle theta to the horizontal, the equation F=(mu*W*sec theta)/(1+mu*tan theta) can be used to calculate the minimum value of F. This is derived by setting the net force along the y-axis to zero and solving for F.
physfan

Homework Statement

A box of weight W is pushed by a force F on a horizontal floor (the diagram below shows the force on the box is at an angle theta to the horizontal)
If the coefficient of static friction is mu, show that the minimum value of F that will move the crate is given by:

F=(mu*W*sec theta)/(1-mu*tan theta)

Homework Equations

The only maths needed i think is trig functions such as sec=1/cos, 1=sin^2+cos^2 etc.
For physics, I have called the frictional force acting against the box fr and the reaction against the horizontal plane R. fr=mu*R is the only equation I could find with the exception of the equations that are results of Newton's thid law (which are listed in my attempted solution)

The Attempt at a Solution

Horizontally I worked out F*cos theta=fr=mu*R
Vertically, F*sin theta=W=n (not sure which values to use so I plugged them all in there)

1st attempt: R is rective force and W=mg so R=W.
fr=mu*W
F*cos theta=mu*W
F=(mu*W)/cos theta

But obviously the result is more complicated than that so I then tried:

fr=R*tan theta (taken from previous class notes but I don't know if this value is suitable for this problem...)

F*sin theta=W=n

F*sin theta*tan theta=mu*W=(F*sin^2 theta)/cos theta

F=(mu*W*cos theta)/sin^2 theta (from rearranging the above line)

F=(mu*W*cos theta)/(1-cos^2 theta) then I just trailed off...
I have made many more attempts but have rubbed them out as they were yet more unsuccessful...

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
physfan said:

Homework Statement

A box of weight W is pushed by a force F on a horizontal floor (the diagram below shows the force on the box is at an angle theta to the horizontal)
Is it above the horizontal or below?
If the coefficient of static friction is mu, show that the minimum value of F that will move the crate is given by:

F=(mu*W*sec theta)/(1-mu*tan theta)

Homework Equations

The only maths needed i think is trig functions such as sec=1/cos, 1=sin^2+cos^2 etc.
For physics, I have called the frictional force acting against the box fr and the reaction against the horizontal plane R. fr=mu*R is the only equation I could find with the exception of the equations that are results of Newton's thid law (which are listed in my attempted solution)

The Attempt at a Solution

Horizontally I worked out F*cos theta=fr=mu*R
:confused: Iguess that by R you mean the normal force. This is not standard notation.
Vertically, F*sin theta=W=n (not sure which values to use so I plugged them all in there)

No. You must set the net force along y equal to zero. You can't set the three forces eqaul to one another!
1st attempt: R is rective force and W=mg so R=W.
the normal force is certainly not equal to the weight here since there is another force with a y component.

nrqed said:
Is it above the horizontal or below?

:confused: Iguess that by R you mean the normal force. This is not standard notation.

No. You must set the net force along y equal to zero. You can't set the three forces eqaul to one another!

the normal force is certainly not equal to the weight here since there is another force with a y component.

Yeah for R I do mean the normal force, I've heard it as both R and n depending on the teacher... I prefer n to be honest but my teacher today is an R person.
Looking at y now I'm thinking F*sin theta - n = 0 (hence F*sin theta = n) but that doesn't seem to get me any further than my previous attempts...

Oh and the angle theta is above the horizontal.

Oh hang on, F*sin theta + W = n doesn't it... sorry, I don't know why I didn't write that before. Blonde moment... I'll have another go.

Right, I'm now getting:

For y: F*sin theta+W - n=0
so F*sin theta+W=n

For x: F*cos theta - mu*n=0
so F*cos theta = mu*n

Substituting in the first equation for n:
F*cos theta=mu*(F*sin theta+W)
F*cos theta=mu*F*sin theta+mu*W
F*(cos theta - mu*sin theta)=mu*W

so F=(mu*W*cos theta)/sin^2 theta
=(mu*W*cos theta)/(1-cos^2 theta)

and then the trail goes cold again...

physfan said:
Oh hang on, F*sin theta + W = n doesn't it... sorry, I don't know why I didn't write that before. Blonde moment... I'll have another go.

This does not look quite right (unless some of your quantities there are negative)

The way to do it is to start with [tex] \sum F_y = m a_y [/tex]
In your case a_y is zero. Therefore the net force along y is zero. Therefore
[tex] F \sin \theta + n - mg = 0 [/tex]
I had never heard of "R" for a normal. In what country are you, just out of curiosity?

I'm from England, there's just one teacher I have who calls it the "reaction" to the plane.

So if we take the direction of n to be positive, why is Fsin theta also positive... isn't that acting in the opposite direction? i.e. pushing down, therefore adding to the weight?

Last edited:
nrqed said:
This does not look quite right (unless some of your quantities there are negative)

The way to do it is to start with [tex] \sum F_y = m a_y [/tex]
I had never heard of "R" for a normal. In what country are you, just out of curiosity?

I obtain the equation you quoted except that I have a division by [itex]1+ \mu \tan \theta [/itex] instead of with a minus sign like you gave. Are you sure you typed the rigt formula?

nrqed said:
I obtain the equation you quoted except that I have a division by [itex]1+ \mu \tan \theta [/itex] instead of with a minus sign like you gave. Are you sure you typed the rigt formula?

You mean the right result?
Yes, it's definitely supposed to be 1-mu*tan theta on the bottom...

Last edited:
nrqed said:
The force must be acting downward, so that should be:
[tex] -F \sin \theta + n - mg = 0 [/tex]

[tex]n = F \sin \theta + mg[/tex]

Yup, thought so, but I'm still not getting the right result...
I used n=Fsintheta + mg earlier in post #6... which shows my latest (unsuccessful) attempt. I can't really see how to carry it on.

physfan said:
Right, I'm now getting:

For y: F*sin theta+W - n=0
so F*sin theta+W=n
OK.

For x: F*cos theta - mu*n=0
so F*cos theta = mu*n
OK.

Substituting in the first equation for n:
F*cos theta=mu*(F*sin theta+W)
F*cos theta=mu*F*sin theta+mu*W
F*(cos theta - mu*sin theta)=mu*W
Good.

so F=(mu*W*cos theta)/sin^2 theta
=(mu*W*cos theta)/(1-cos^2 theta)
Huh?

Just divide by (cos theta - mu*sin theta) and you're done. (Almost.)

Doc Al said:
OK.

Huh?

Just divide by (cos theta - mu*sin theta) and you're done. (Almost.)

Sorry! My notes are rather messy and I typed out the wrong bit.
I meant:

F(cos theta - mu*sin theta)=mu*W
so F=(mu*W)/(cos theta-mu*sin theta). which is where I got stuck but if that's right I'll have another look first.
Thanks!

You are one small step away from the final answer. Hint: What do you have to do the denominator to make it the way you want?

Oh yeah you just divide throughout by cos theta!

Right, got it, thanks again

(Edit: and for the record, I did that before I saw your post...)

Related to Coefficient of friction and forces proof

1. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the resistance to motion between two surfaces in contact. It is a dimensionless value that ranges from 0 to 1, with 0 indicating no friction and 1 indicating maximum friction.

2. How is the coefficient of friction determined?

The coefficient of friction is determined experimentally by measuring the force required to move one surface over another at a constant velocity. The ratio of this force to the normal force between the two surfaces is the coefficient of friction.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be influenced by factors such as the texture, roughness, and composition of the surfaces in contact, as well as the weight and speed of the object moving over the surface.

4. How does the coefficient of friction relate to forces?

The coefficient of friction is directly related to the amount of force needed to overcome friction and move an object. The higher the coefficient of friction, the greater the force required to move the object.

5. Can the coefficient of friction change?

Yes, the coefficient of friction can change depending on the conditions and factors mentioned earlier. For example, a surface may become more slippery when wet, resulting in a lower coefficient of friction.