Coefficient of friction (mu) is not dependent on the area

In summary: It's a fairly good assumption provided the stress-strain behaviour of the material stays linear (e.g. no plastic deformation), the work done by the friction doesn't abrade the surfaces (which can make them either rougher or smoother), the work converted into heat doesn't cause local chemical reactions or melting/vaporization of the material, and the relative movements are large compared with the local flexibility of the surface features (e.g. "mountains" and "valleys").In summary, the coefficient of friction is not dependent on the area of contact in ideal conditions, but in real life, factors such as surface cleanliness, deformation, and pressure can affect the coefficient of friction. Rolling friction is typically less than static friction because the area of
FedEx
Hi
If i am not wrong than coefficient of friction (mu) is not dependent on the area of the surface of the body in contact with other body. Then why is that rolling friction is less than static friction

Physics news on Phys.org
FedEx said:
Hi
If i am not wrong than coefficient of friction (mu) is not dependent on the area of the surface of the body in contact with other body. Then why is that rolling friction is less than static friction

the coefficient of friction is not, but the frictional force certainly is dependent upon the area of contact. when rolling, the area of contact is much less, hence less frictional force.

If i am not wrong than coefficient of friction (mu) is not dependent on the area of the surface of the body in contact with other body.
This is only true under ideal conditions, perfectly "clean", smooth surfaces, and possibly only in a vacuum. In real life you get results similar to those shown 4:45 into this video clip:

http://www.gyros.biz/lecture/wmv/2.wmv

From this web site:

http://www.gyroscopes.org/1974lecture.asp

Then why is that rolling friction is less than static friction
Under ideal conditions it's the same. If one of the surfaces is flexible, like rubber in a tire, it's virtually the same (if the tire and surface are reasonably clean). In the case of tires, even though the contact patch increases slightly with increased load, heavy loads reduce the cornering coefficient of friction (probably related to the deformation of a tire during cornering loads), which is how suspension systems are used to "tune" the handling of a car, the stiffer end gets less grip, because more downforce force is applied to the outer tire at the stiffer end.

Last edited by a moderator:
But the frictional force is in turn dependent on the coefficient of friction

FedEx said:
But the frictional force is in turn dependent on the coefficient of friction
My point is the coefficient of friction varies depending on the circumstances, such as contact area, pressure, cleanliness, deformation, static, ...

Jeff Reid said:
My point is the coefficient of friction varies depending on the circumstances, such as contact area, pressure, cleanliness, deformation, static, ...

of course the frictional coefficient is not really "constant", it is dependent upon the molecular composition of the material and it's response to the "environment".

but that is not what the OP is asking. The OP is asking why, under ideal circumstances, would the frictional force affect sliding to a greater extent that rolling (at least, that's what I think the OP is asking). my response is that the OP is confusing the coefficient of friction with the frictional force.

quetzalcoatl9 said:
of course the frictional coefficient is not really "constant", it is dependent upon the molecular composition of the material and it's response to the "environment".

but that is not what the OP is asking. The OP is asking why, under ideal circumstances, would the frictional force affect sliding to a greater extent that rolling (at least, that's what I think the OP is asking). my response is that the OP is confusing the coefficient of friction with the frictional force.

I know,but f=(mu)(normal reaction). So here f is proportional to mu. And so as mu changes f changes. And mu is independent of the area of contact. So mu sholud not be less for a rolling body according to the given concept. B ut we have that mu for rolling is always smaller than mu of sliding . So why?
If i am making any conceptual mistake than please point that out. Waiting for your reply

Last edited:
FedEx said:
I know,but f=(mu)(normal reaction). So here f is proportional to mu. And so as mu changes f changes. And mu is independent of the area of contact. So mu sholud not be less for a rolling body according to the given concept. B ut we have that mu for rolling is always smaller than mu of sliding . So why?
If i am making any conceptual mistake than please point that out. Waiting for your reply

let's take the simplest case: if there were NO area of contact, would you still have a frictional force opposing?

FedEx said:
I don't think that the coefficient of static (or sliding) friction is simply related to the coefficient of rolling friction, which is largely due to the deformation of the surfaces.

Doc Al said:
I don't think that the coefficient of static (or sliding) friction is simply related to the coefficient of rolling friction, which is largely due to the deformation of the surfaces.

Hi
we don't have a direct relation between coefficient of rolling and sliding friction. But we have a relation that rolling friction is less than sliding friction.

There is no direct relationship between rolling and static friction. Static friction allows one body to roll on another without slipping. Experimentally, rolling friction is always found to be less than sliding or kinetic friction, which is in turn slightly less than static friction.

The static friction is independent of the area of contact, depending only on the normal reaction. I don't really know within what limits this is valid.

Shooting star said:
The static friction is independent of the area of contact, depending only on the normal reaction. I don't really know within what limits this is valid.

It's a fairly good assumption provided the stress-strain behaviour of the material stays linear (e.g. no plastic deformation), the work done by the friction doesn't abrade the surfaces (which can make them either rougher or smoother), the work converted into heat doesn't cause local chemical reactions or melting/vaporization of the material, and the relative movements are large compared with the local flexibility of the objects caused by internal stresses (e.g. for metal to metal contact and displacements of the order of 0.01mm, the friction coefficient is very amplitude dependent - bolted or riveted joints carrying large oscillating loads, for example)

In other words, for blocks of wood sliding down inclined planes in physics labs, it's OK... but for many other situations, it's not so good.

FAQ: Coefficient of friction (mu) is not dependent on the area

1. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact with each other. It is commonly denoted by the Greek letter mu (μ) and is a dimensionless quantity.

2. Why is the coefficient of friction not dependent on the area?

The coefficient of friction is a property of the materials in contact, not the size or shape of the surfaces. It is determined by factors such as the roughness, hardness, and lubrication of the surfaces, which remain constant regardless of the area of contact.

3. How is the coefficient of friction calculated?

The coefficient of friction can be calculated by dividing the force required to move one surface over the other by the normal force pushing the two surfaces together. It is also influenced by the type of motion (static or kinetic) and the direction of the force.

4. Can the coefficient of friction change?

Yes, the coefficient of friction can change depending on various factors such as temperature, humidity, and the condition of the surfaces. For example, adding a lubricant can reduce the coefficient of friction, making it easier for two surfaces to slide over each other.

5. How is the coefficient of friction used in real-world applications?

The coefficient of friction is an important factor in designing and predicting the behavior of various systems, such as car brakes, tires, and machinery. It is also used in determining the stability and safety of structures, such as bridges and buildings, and in understanding natural phenomena like earthquakes and landslides.