Coefficient of Kinetic friction problem

In summary, the question asks for the coefficient of kinetic friction between the sled and the surface it is being pulled on. The equations used to solve this would be f_k = \mu_k N and Fg=ma. The initial attempt at solving only calculated the downward force of the sled and did not provide a solution. However, it was later discovered that there was a typo on the worksheet and more information was needed to solve the problem. After receiving the correct information, the question was successfully solved.
vericolorful

Homework Statement

Harry pulls a sled with a mass of 110kg along a level surface of the forest in a straight line at a constant velocity. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the surface and the sled?

Homework Equations

[tex]f_k = \mu_k N[/tex]
Fg=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the downward force of the sled, which is 1079.1 N. After that I'm not really sure what to do. The other examples we did in class gave an angle, but this one doesn't seem to have one.
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
I would expect more information to be given with this.

Well, I asked my teacher and it was a typo on the worksheet. There is suppose to be more information. I solved it after I got the information. Thanks anyway.

Ahh, the old typo on the worksheet. I'm sure that frustrated more thana few students. At least its sorted now.

FAQ: Coefficient of Kinetic friction problem

What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces when one is in motion. It is represented by the symbol μk and is a unitless value.

How do you calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be calculated by dividing the force of kinetic friction by the normal force between the two surfaces. This can be represented by the equation μk = Fk/Fn.

What factors affect the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be affected by a variety of factors, including the nature of the two surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the speed of the motion.

What are some real-life applications of the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is used in many real-life situations, such as determining the stopping distance of a car, designing brake systems for vehicles, and calculating the force needed to move objects on different surfaces.

How does the coefficient of kinetic friction differ from the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction measures the friction between two surfaces when one is already in motion, while the coefficient of static friction measures the friction between two surfaces when there is no motion. The coefficient of static friction is typically higher than the coefficient of kinetic friction.