Calculating Coefficient of Lift: Angle of Attack of 7°

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving calculating the coefficient of lift and angle of attack. The solution is shown in the images provided, but there is a discrepancy between the calculated and expected values. The mistake is found to be in the use of slugs instead of pounds, and the correct value for the coefficient of lift is determined to be 0.23 by dividing by 32.2.
yecko
Gold Member
1. Homework Statement
https://i.imgur.com/tG9unNs.png
tG9unNs.png

2. Homework Equations
in picture below

3. The Attempt at a Solution
https://i.imgur.com/egZC3Ay.jpg
egZC3Ay.jpg

I calculated the angle of attack is "7", yet the answer is "1", which implies the coefficient of lift is about 0.2 from the answer. I am not sure where of my answer have got mistake...
can anyone help?
thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think there is a problem of slugs versus lbs. Standard atmosphere has density 0.000889378 slugs/cubic foot, not lbs/cubic foot. Using your numbers, I get Cl = 7.3, which is way too high. But dividing by 32.2 gives Cl = 0.23

Likes yecko
Thank you very much!
FactChecker said:
Standard atmosphere has density 0.000889378 slugs/cubic foot, not lbs/cubic foot.

It is because https://i.imgur.com/a43giFt.png is what I have got in my assignment and I misunderstood lb(f) as lb(m) represented by lb in the question.
a43giFt.png

So, I do not need to multiply 32.2 on the right side.

FactChecker said:
But dividing by 32.2 gives Cl = 0.23

Thank you so much for reminding me!

Likes FactChecker

What is the coefficient of lift?

The coefficient of lift is a dimensionless quantity that represents the amount of lift generated by an object, such as an airplane wing, at a specific angle of attack.

What is the angle of attack?

The angle of attack is the angle between the wing and the relative wind, which is the airflow created by the motion of the object. It is a critical factor in determining the amount of lift generated by an object.

How do you calculate the coefficient of lift?

The coefficient of lift can be calculated by dividing the lift force by the product of the air density, the velocity of the object, and the surface area of the object. It can also be found by using experimental data and a lift curve, which relates the coefficient of lift to the angle of attack.

What does an angle of attack of 7° mean?

An angle of attack of 7° means that the wing is tilted at a 7° angle with respect to the relative wind. This angle can affect the lift and drag forces on the wing, and can be adjusted to control the flight of an aircraft.

Why is it important to calculate the coefficient of lift?

Calculating the coefficient of lift is essential in understanding the aerodynamic forces acting on an object, and is crucial for designing efficient and safe aircraft. It also allows for the prediction and control of lift, which is necessary for successful flight.