1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coil design and magnet orientation in a unique generator

1. Aug 1, 2012 #1
    First, I am not an electrical engineer - I am a hobbyist building a prototype linear-stlye generator based on an idea I had which, for various reasons, cannot be built with magnets that pass completely inside of coil(s) like most of the ones I have seen described for wave energy capture and other reciprocating motions. I understand the basic concepts of electromagnetism and have read a great deal, but I can't find anything which describes the factors I would like to know about in any detail.

I did find one company, Windtronics who have a wind generator that has some of the same constraints as what I am working under. Their 'BTPS' (blade tip power system) has magnets that move past coils in a fixed housing, and since the magnets are attached to the rim of the wind vane assembly, they can't be completely enclosed by the coils.

Unfortunately, none of the drawings I have found of their device clearly show how the magnets and coils are oriented with respect to each other - which is the question I have: How would you orient magnets at the end of a spoke or arm that moves near coils (and what orientation should these coils with respect to the end-of-arm magnets, and how should they be wired together) so that the result has the maximum electrical generation efficiency?

I can envision many possible configurations, but wanted to solicit some expert guidance before wasting a lot of time building something sub-optimal. Any pointers or discussion are welcomed.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2012 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook