Coil Moving through a Magnetic Field

In summary, a coil of resistance R = 2 ohms and dimensions w = 3 cm and L = 8 cm moves at constant velocity v = 5 cm/s in a region of magnetic field B = 1.6 T. The force required to maintain this velocity is F(0.8 sec).
Lanc1988

Homework Statement

At t=0, a rectangular coil of resistance R = 2 ohms and dimensions w = 3 cm and L = 8 cm enters a region of constant magnetic field B = 1.6 T directed into the screen as shown. The length of the region containing the magnetic field is LB = 15 cm. The coil is observed to move at constant velocity v = 5 cm/s. What is the force required at time t = 0.8 sec to maintain this velocity?

F(0.8 sec) = ?? N

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem has a walkthrough to help me solve it, however I have reached the end of the walkthrough and tried using the equation but it isn't working for me.

I find out the following in the walkthrough:

the change in flux (dF/dt) through the loop is 1.6*0.03*0.05

the current can be calculated using V=IR

and finally F = IwB

so for the answer I try: (.05/2)*.03*1.6 but it keeps saying that it is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there,

Have you taken into account there are two parts of the wire perpendicular tot he B-field?

As i go through the walkthrough it tells me that 2 of the wires cancel each other out and I am only left with needing to calculate the force on the wire of length w

My mistake, I didn't realize it only just entered the field. Try working this through algebraicaly first to obtain a final expresion for F, then put the numbers in. I think you should have a couple of squared quantities in there somewhere.

but they tell me in the walkthrough that all of those equations are correct.. at the end I am told that F = IwB and that I now have enough information to solve the equation for the final answer so I don't understand why it keeps telling me that my answer is wrong.

Yes, F=IwB. What does I=?

Lanc1988 said:
so for the answer I try: (.05/2)*.03*1.6 but it keeps saying that it is wrong.

According to this you have said that: current=velocity/resistance. This is not true in any circumstance.

they told me to use the equation V=IR so the current should be equal to V/R.. how am i suppose to figure out what the current is then?

The flux through the coil that you calculated in your first post is equal to the emf generated in the coil by the motion through the b field.

The V in the expression of V=IR is always the voltage.

In this situation the only voltage contribution is from the emf generated in the wire, which you have already calculated.

i see now.. when i saw V=IR without thinking about it i just put the v for the velocity.. it all makes sense now, thanks for your help.

Your welcome. Did it come out right in the end?

1. What happens when a coil moves through a magnetic field?

When a coil moves through a magnetic field, it induces an electric current in the coil. This is known as electromagnetic induction and is the basis for generators and many other electrical devices.

2. How does the direction of motion affect the induced current in the coil?

The direction of motion of the coil relative to the magnetic field determines the direction of the induced current. If the coil moves parallel to the magnetic field, no current is induced. If the coil moves perpendicular to the magnetic field, the induced current will be at its maximum.

3. What factors affect the strength of the induced current?

The strength of the induced current depends on several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the speed of the coil's motion, and the number of turns in the coil. A stronger magnetic field, faster motion, and more turns in the coil will result in a stronger induced current.

4. Can the direction of the magnetic field affect the induced current in the coil?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic field can affect the induced current in the coil. If the direction of the magnetic field is reversed, the direction of the induced current will also be reversed. This is known as Lenz's law.

5. How is the principle of electromagnetic induction used in real-world applications?

The principle of electromagnetic induction is used in many real-world applications, such as generators, electric motors, transformers, and induction cooktops. It is also used in some medical devices, such as MRI machines, to create images of the body.