1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coil resistance question

1. Sep 16, 2014 #1
    Good afternoon all,

I recently submitted a assignment and my lecturer has questions a figure i have put as an answer.

Question was; An inductor of negligible resistance and an inductance of 0.2 H is connected in series with a 330 Ω resistor to a 12V d.c. supply.

Determine: the resistance of a 0.2 H coil used to replace the inductor if the circuit’s time constant falls to 0.55 ms.

I used R=L/t = 0.2/0.00055 = 363.64ohms
    circuit original resistance is 330Ω so an additional 63.64Ω would be apostioned to the new coil??? He has asked where the 63.64ohms has come from??

Am i right in what i've siad or have i totally misunderstood?

Any help would be great, i still passed the assignment but just want to be sure.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2014 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Your method new total resistance look fine. But pay attention to the old resistance: was it 300 or 330 Ohms? :wink:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  4. Sep 16, 2014 #3
    Sorry my bad, it should read 33.64ohms

5. Sep 16, 2014 #4

gneill

Ta da! :smile:

6. Sep 16, 2014 #5
    Hi sorry the 33.64ohms was the answer I had put above was just a typo. Why is he questioning this figures origin?

7. Sep 16, 2014 #6

gneill

If your answer was 33.64 Ω then I don't know why he would question it, unless you didn't show your work.

The alternative is that he misunderstood the question and assumed that the 330 Ω resistor was replaced as well. Then the new coil would have to have the full resistance value of about 364 Ω.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted