Coils mutual force exercise: help

In summary, the problem involves two compact circular coils, one with a radius of 25cm and the other with a radius of 1.5 cm, with currents of 10A and 4A flowing through them respectively. The smaller coil is placed above the larger coil at a distance X and in the same direction as the current in the larger coil. The task is to calculate the mutual force between the two coils and determine whether it is repulsive or attractive, as well as the value of X when the force is at its maximum. This can be approximated by treating the smaller coil as a magnetic dipole and calculating the force on the larger coil.
emlio

Homework Statement

In a compact cicrcualr coil "A" (radius R= 25cm),formed by N=150 loops of wire, flows I=10A current.
There's another compact circular coil "B" over "A"(radius r= 1.5 cm, loops n= 30) coaxial with "A" distant X ,in which i= 4A flows .
in the same direction of "I" (look at the image).

Calculate the mutual force between the two coils, and is it repulsive or attractive ?
Calculate X value when the force is Maximum.

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/7660/bobinacn6.jpg

HELP ME I DON'T KNOW HOW TO SOLVE IT...sorry for the translation English isn't my mother tongue.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is very complicated if done exactly, because you would need B off the axis of one of the coils. Assuming R=1.5 cm is small enough, you can approximate the smaller coil by a magnetic dipole. Then the force on the larger coil is not hard to calculate.

1. What is a mutual force exercise?

A mutual force exercise is a scientific experiment that involves two or more coils of wire placed near each other. When an electrical current is passed through one of the coils, it creates a magnetic field that induces a current in the other coil, causing them to attract or repel each other.

2. How do coils create a mutual force?

Coils create a mutual force through the interaction of their magnetic fields. When an electrical current flows through a coil, it creates a magnetic field around the coil. When the coil is placed near another coil, the magnetic field induces a current in the second coil, creating a mutual force between them.

3. What is the purpose of a coils mutual force exercise?

The purpose of a coils mutual force exercise is to demonstrate the principles of electromagnetism and the interactions between magnetic fields and electrical currents. It can also be used to study the strength and direction of the mutual force between coils and how it is affected by factors such as the distance between the coils and the amount of electrical current flowing through them.

4. What materials are needed for a coils mutual force exercise?

The materials needed for a coils mutual force exercise include two or more coils of wire, a power source such as a battery or power supply, and a way to measure the mutual force between the coils, such as a spring balance or force sensor. Optional materials may include a switch to control the flow of current and a ruler or measuring tape to measure the distance between the coils.

5. What are some real-world applications of mutual force exercises?

Mutual force exercises have many real-world applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and transformers. They are also used in devices such as loudspeakers and microphones, where the interaction between magnetic fields and electrical currents is used to convert electrical energy into sound energy and vice versa. Mutual force exercises are also used in scientific research to study the behavior of magnetic fields and electrical currents and their effects on each other.