Colbert wins NASA space station name contest

In summary, NASA's online contest to name a new room at the international space station went awry. Comedian Stephen Colbert won with 230,539 votes.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think this is too damned funny! :rofl:

WASHINGTON (AP) — NASA's online contest to name a new room at the international space station went awry. Comedian Stephen Colbert won...

NASA's mistake was allowing write-ins. Colbert urged viewers of his Comedy Central show, "The Colbert Report," to write in his name. And they complied, with 230,539 votes...
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hVxsBGs7scxZSkcCE1cL2B4BlECAD974D8800

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, man... that is just too funny. Bravo, Stephen. I guess that it makes up for him losing the Grammy.
Colbert is one of those perfect chameleons. I both love and hate the character, but the actor behind the character is incredibly brilliant.

What a waste. Imagine what other names we internets couldve came up with that were funnier...

You know... when you think about it, NASA may be well served to go with Colbert. It would be great publicity. I think it might help to counter the stuffiness factor; that it would help to connect with the public. They would probably get more exposure with Colbert than we've seen since the first shuttle launched. He would abosolutely eat it up. He would go ballistic!

I guess I was the only one who wanted to name it the Penguin room :(

matthyaouw said:
Colbert? How boring :frown:
If you are going to vote on mass like that, at least think of something good. Take the winner of Greenpeace's name-the-whale contest: http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/blog/about/save-mr-splashy-pants-20071210

HEY!

I am PROUD to have voted for Colbert for that new Pod! They were going to go with "Serenity" or "Xenu" otherwise! Be aware that the pod is for the processing of waste material! The browncoats don't want that now do they really?

Edit: actually, "Mr. Splashypants" might be the perfect name for the waste pod. Point taken.

They don't have to accept the top vote getter and probably won't.

But all won't be lost for Colbert: http://www.sciam.com/blog/60-second-science/post.cfm?id=stephen-colbert-may-be-honored-with-2009-03-24

BobG said:
They don't have to accept the top vote getter and probably won't.

But all won't be lost for Colbert: http://www.sciam.com/blog/60-second-science/post.cfm?id=stephen-colbert-may-be-honored-with-2009-03-24

Stephen Colbert may be the Thomas Crapper of zero-G.

Excuse me, I have to take a Colbert.

Ivan Seeking said:
He would go ballistic!
*rimshot*

Meanwhile, during all of this hullaballoo about the ISS pod, Colbert got himself knighted by Queen Noor of Jordan. He is now Sir Doctor Stephen T. Colbert, DFA.

This man is on my short list of favorite people.

Last edited:
Jimmy is a nice name.

Chi Meson said:
Meanwhile, during all of this hullaballoo about the ISS pod, Colbert got himself knighted by Queen Noor of Jordan. He is now Sir Doctor Stephen T. Colbert, DFA.

This man is on my short list of favorite people.

lol, if only they knew they just let the camel's nose under the tent

Proton Soup said:
lol, if only they knew they just let the camel's nose under the tent

Come on man, this is Colbert we're talking about. He's probably backing in. :biggrin:

So NASA now makes announcements on comedy central! Too funny!

I voted for Colbert, I admit to being part of his Nation.

whybother said:
I voted for Colbert, I admit to being part of his Nation.

We find out tomorrow.

If Colbert wins, does that mean that we have a Colbert Orbit as well as a Colbert Nation?

Drum roll please.

And the winner is...

Tranquility!

But he will have a treadmill on the space station named after him - the Combined Operational Load Bearing External Resistance Treadmill (COLBERT).

Ivan Seeking said:
Tranquility!

But he will have a treadmill on the space station named after him - the Combined Operational Load Bearing External Resistance Treadmill (COLBERT).

As important he gets the cool patch with his picture running the treadmill.

He did raise a good point about using the power from the treadmill to power the station. That would seem to be a useful feature of it if they could capture the power from it.

The rumors were rampant that they were going to name the toilet after him. "Hold on, I have to go hit the Colbert". "One person's waste is another person's drinking water. Let's have a toast to our Colbert."

Colbert is in Iraq wearing a camouflage suit. :rofl:

Yes, and Gen. Ray Odierno gave him his HAIRCUT! :rofl: :rofl: (even funnier... It was apparently a Commander in Chief order from President Obama).

Yep, Obama came on and ordered the General to shave Colbert's head. Too funny!

1. What is the NASA space station name contest?

The NASA space station name contest was a competition held by NASA to allow the public to vote on and choose the name of the newest module of the International Space Station.

2. How did Colbert win the NASA space station name contest?

Comedian Stephen Colbert encouraged his fans and followers to vote for his name suggestion, "Colbert", through his popular TV show and social media platforms. This resulted in a surge of votes and ultimately led to his name winning the contest.

3. What was the significance of the name "Colbert" winning the contest?

The name "Colbert" was chosen as a tribute to Stephen Colbert and his contribution to promoting science and space exploration through his show. It also brought attention to the NASA space station and the important work being done there.

4. What will happen now that "Colbert" has won the contest?

The new module on the International Space Station will officially be named "Colbert" and will be used for scientific research and experiments. NASA has stated that they are honored to have Colbert's name be a part of the space station's legacy.

5. Has a celebrity name ever won a NASA space station name contest before?

No, this was the first time a celebrity name has won a NASA space station name contest. However, NASA has previously named modules after historical figures and important scientists, such as Leonardo da Vinci and Nicolaus Copernicus.