Collapse of Pauli exclusion principle

In summary, when a neutron star collapses into a black hole, its degeneracy pressure breaks down and the system collapses into an exact supersymmetric state.
lark
What happens when a neutron star collapses into a black hole and it's no longer obeying the Pauli exclusion principle? In terms of quantum mechanics? Say it collapses because it gets more massive.
A "neutron degeneracy pressure" can be calculated, which is what keeps the neutron star from collapsing.
Since this pressure can be calculated, I suppose people have some idea of what happens when gravitation overwhelms it, in terms of quantum mechanics?
I'm puzzled because from what I remember, the Pauli exclusion principle comes from adding two quantum states of two particles together, and they're out of phase so they cancel where both positions are the same. It sounds pretty basic and I wonder what happens when this stops working.
Laura

Physics news on Phys.org
The questions you are raising point to a fundamental problem of current physics. Specifically when trying to describe what happens inside a black hole, quantum theory and general relativity are in conflict. How to resolve this is an open question.

Electron degeneracy breaks down when there is so much gravity that they become bound to the protons and create neutrons. This is the creation of a neutron star.

How the Neutron's degeneracy pressure breaks down is unknown to me.

mathman said:
The questions you are raising point to a fundamental problem of current physics. Specifically when trying to describe what happens inside a black hole, quantum theory and general relativity are in conflict. How to resolve this is an open question.

If somebody can calculate the pressure resisting the collapse of the Pauli exclusion principle, it seems like they should have some idea of what it's collapsing to. Knowing the pressure seems to indicate knowledge of the process involved.

It doesn't have to be a problem because the gravity is able to overcome the degenarcy pressure, i.e. it is able to push the electrons/neutrons to high enough energy states so that they don't occupy the same levels.

It could also be that at some stage the system makes a transition to an exact supersymmetric state. It has been argued that such transitions could actually happen spontaneously in neutron stars or white dwarfs:

http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph/0403227

http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph/0602024

http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph/0703221

1. What is the Pauli exclusion principle?

The Pauli exclusion principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that no two identical fermions (particles with half-integer spin) can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously.

2. How does the Pauli exclusion principle affect atoms and molecules?

The Pauli exclusion principle plays a crucial role in determining the electronic structure of atoms and molecules. It dictates that the electrons in an atom or molecule must occupy different energy levels and spin states, leading to the formation of distinct electron shells and the stability of chemical bonds.

3. Can the Pauli exclusion principle ever be violated?

No, the Pauli exclusion principle is a fundamental law of nature and has never been observed to be violated. It is a necessary consequence of the symmetry of the wave function describing fermions and is supported by numerous experimental observations.

4. What would happen if the Pauli exclusion principle were to collapse?

If the Pauli exclusion principle were to collapse, it would have catastrophic consequences for the stability of matter. Atoms and molecules would no longer be able to exist in their current form, and the entire structure of the universe would be drastically altered.

5. Is there any evidence for the collapse of the Pauli exclusion principle?

No, there is currently no evidence to suggest that the Pauli exclusion principle has collapsed. It has been extensively tested and has consistently held up in all experiments and observations. Any claim of its collapse would require extraordinary evidence and would fundamentally change our understanding of the universe.