Collection of Lame Jokes

  • Thread starter Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Jokes
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
24,334 replies · 3M views
Ibix said:
How does a lion greet other animals in the jungle?
Pleased to eat you.
Lions are polite people. The entire text is

Pleased to eat you
Hope you guess I'm tame
But what's puzzling you
Is the nature of my game
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Stavros Kiri, Borg, EnumaElish and 2 others
Physics news on Phys.org
mfb said:
Instructions unclear, became a larm.
Dear mfb,

Unfortunately, at this time we have no need for larms. We will keep your CV on file and, should a post come up, we will contact you to see if you are a vailable.

Yours etc.,
Ibix.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Drakkith and DrClaude
I would want to become a larm, very much. But they told me I could only be an ything.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Drakkith, DrClaude and Ibix
All this talk is making me hungry for some reason. I'm going to go get a napple.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Drakkith and Ibix
jtbell said:
All this talk is making me hungry for some reason. I'm going to go get a napple.
Good idea, me a swell.
 
Bandersnatch said:
I would want to become a larm, very much. But they told me I could only be an ything.
That's not true, I'm a fraid.
 
me over the last few days ...

upload_2017-6-27_10-59-53.png
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix, DrClaude, Borg and 1 other person
Groan ... hahaha

19226001_1517161281638702_7653041084483362182_n.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Drakkith, Borg, EnumaElish and 1 other person
Ibix said:
From the Alannis Morisette school of Labelling Things Ironic, I see...
I disagree. A company called Dominoes whose scooters have fallen like dominoes is proper irony.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: EnumaElish, davenn and BillTre
davenn said:
not sure where that photo was taken ?
There's a Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) logo in the very top right, a Belisha beacon visible just above the R of "irony" and the cars are driving on the left. So my money's on the UK - not necessarily Scotland. The bus livery would probably narrow it down some, but I don't recognise it. Also the bin has something on it which I expect is the local council logo, but the resolution is too low to see it.
DrClaude said:
I disagree. A company called Dominoes whose scooters have fallen like dominoes is proper irony.
Merriam-Webster offers:
Merriam-Webster said:
1: a pretense of ignorance and of willingness to learn from another assumed in order to make the other's false conceptions conspicuous by adroit questioning —called also Socratic irony

2 a
: the use of words to express something other than and especially the opposite of the literal meaning b : a usually humorous or sardonic literary style or form characterized by irony c : an ironic expression or utterance
3 a
(1) : incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected result (2) : an event or result marked by such incongruity b : incongruity between a situation developed in a drama and the accompanying words or actions that is understood by the audience but not by the characters in the play —called also dramatic irony, tragic irony
None of which seems to match fallen scooters, to my mind. That's something like the New Scientist's old Nominative Determinism spot, I think.

Or are you employing irony and I'm over-analysing it?
 
Ibix said:
Merriam-Webster offers:
None of which seems to match fallen scooters, to my mind. That's something like the New Scientist's old Nominative Determinism spot, I think.

Or are you employing irony and I'm over-analysing it?
I've checked the OED, and the result is the same. So what is it if it is not irony? (I would still argue that it is closer to irony than what Alanis Morissette sung :smile:).
 
Ibix said:
Merriam-Webster offers:
None of which seems to match fallen scooters, to my mind. That's something like the New Scientist's old Nominative Determinism spot, I think.

Or are you employing irony and I'm over-analysing it?
I've checked the OED, and the result is the same. So what is it if it is not irony? (I would still argue that it is closer to irony than what Alanis Morissette sung :smile:).
 
I'm thinking, the ironic thing would be for the scooters not to fall like dominoes.
Now, you're probably thinking: 'Aha! Each time I'll pass by Domino's scooters standing straight, I'll sing Alanis' "Isn't that ironic?"' - well, you shouldn't. You should sing it when the scooters are fallen like dominoes. This is because the song is famous for misusing irony. So now you can apply irony to an unironic situation by being ironic about an unironic song with irony in its name.
 
Actually there is a relationship to dramatic irony here, isn't there? You can imagine a workplace sitcom, and the drivers neatly parking their scooters outside the shop, close enough together so that they don't take up too much room but far enough apart so they can get on. But the camera can see from another angle that they've set up a row of Domino's...
 
incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected result
The expected results of Domino's: Pizza delivery.
The actual result: Used as chain of dominos.
 
mfb said:
The expected results of Domino's: Pizza delivery.
The actual result: Used as chain of dominos.
... and I'm still hungry ... waiting! ...