Collection of Lame Jokes
- Thread starter quddusaliquddus
- Start date
-
- Tags
- Jokes
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
24,333 replies · 3M views
Physics news on Phys.org
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,876
- 6,212
Mark44 said:This is certainly lame all right, but I don't see that it also qualifies as a joke.
I liked it
Brittany is of course the littlest Britain which is found in... France
This is also not a joke, its a quirk which is amusing, I know this because I am British.
256bits
Gold Member
- 4,284
- 2,297
What not to let the smart a__ of you say at a Xmas party, or any other time of the year, when your girlfriend is speaking beside you:
You - My ear is ringing. What's that noise?
Her - THAT'S ME TALKING!
You - My ear is ringing. What's that noise?
Her - THAT'S ME TALKING!
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,480
- 2,231
I thought "Brittany" meant "a bit like Britain". In the same way that "sticky" means "a bit like a stick".pinball1970 said:Brittany is of course the littlest Britain...
Uxbridge English Dictionary
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,876
- 6,212
DrGreg said:I thought "Brittany" meant "a bit like Britain". In the same way that "sticky" means "a bit like a stick".
Uxbridge English Dictionary
A quick search has some info on this. The name goes back a bit as you could not get any further from British as French, 1st C Roman. So in summary part of France named a "lesser" or "a little bit like Britain” by Italians.I think that counts as amusing
- 20,819
- 28,467
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,876
- 6,212
fresh_42 said:
Yes that is funny to everyone who is not British; as I said we are very different to our European cousins and have had some differences over years but that is all is forgotten now.
Q: Whats the difference between a smart Frenchman and a unicorn? A: Nothing, they're both fictional characters
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,876
- 6,212
If anyone wants to post about Pascal Laplace Curie Fermat Fourier etc yes I know its a joke
- 20,819
- 28,467
Those jokes always work in two directions.pinball1970 said:Yes that is funny to everyone who is not British; as I said we are very different to our European cousins and have had some differences over years but that is all is forgotten now.
Q: Whats the difference between a smart Frenchman and a unicorn? A: Nothing, they're both fictional characters
I remember a dialogue I once had with a colleague about the British cuisine. Me: "If there wasn't the channel, the French would have dug it" and his answer was: "How come you know they haven't?". In my opinion the English rather than the other three, actually celebrate being different from other Europeans - by all means. This sometimes leads to absurdities, but we all have our specialties, even with less emphasis on them.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 1,408
- 814
When the Anglo-Saxons invaded Britain, the native (Celtic) Britons were pushed into the far west, into Wales and Cornwall, and some of them migrated to NW France, taking the Briton name (and language) with them. They are not a remnant of the Celtic Gauls of France.pinball1970 said:A quick search has some info on this. The name goes back a bit as you could not get any further from British as French, 1st C Roman. So in summary part of France named a "lesser" or "a little bit like Britain” by Italians.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
- 35,014
- 21,725
fresh_42 said:his answer was: "How come you know they haven't?"
They'd still be on strike?
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,876
- 6,212
This could apply to either side of the channelVanadium 50 said:They'd still be on strike?
The English working class trade unions of the 60s,70s and 80s crippled productivity and the economy with petty, greedy, petulant, lazy attitudes to hard work, status and money.
Talking of laziness I have a very funny but quite bad taste joke about women, engineering students and inappropriate sexual behaviour but I think the moderators would not allow it.
- 20,819
- 28,467
I'd say you're right. I have read a joke about women, too, which is quite funny and although not about sexual behavior, I don't think it is appropriate. Some of the meanest jokes I know have been told to me by women, but it is a completely different matter to repeat them as a man. PC isn't stupid by definition, and in many cases a good guideline. We have members all around the world, of all ages, education, religions and gender. To potentially offend them for a more or less good or bad pun isn't worth it. Already the jokes about nationalities are on the edge. I can cope them, although I often feel the urge to reply and correct those prejudices they usually rely on. But what about all our readers who silently read them and turn away because of them? We'll never know. Thus it is not only just censorship but mandatory caution to reject and remove posts, which may hurt some - and often unknown - readers.pinball1970 said:Talking of laziness I have a very funny but quite bad taste joke about women, engineering students and inappropriate sexual behaviour but I think the moderators would not allow it.
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,876
- 6,212
Fair enoughfresh_42 said:Thus it is not only just censorship but mandatory caution to reject and remove posts, which may hurt some - and often unknown - readers
I am English so are quite open to being the butt of every nations jokes.
Probably because we have our finger in so countries pies over the centuries and as a people / tribe we are often absurd, this is the nation that gave the world the Goodies Monty Python Not the 9 O clock news the goons and Arthur Negus enjoys.
I would never intentionally offend anyone so apologies if I have so far.
On the Irish joke, my father is from Dublin so hopefully you will let that one pass and all jokes now will be strictly lame and ethnically neutral
- 20,819
- 28,467
Me, too, as being German. There are probably as many prejudices, and what you've written for UKpinball1970 said:I am English so are quite open to being the butt of every nations jokes.
is true for Germany as well. There are so many local differences, that jokes on the nation's level are almost certainly not true. Even I know some jokes that start with: "An Englishman, an Irish and a Scotsman enter a bar ..." and I assume there are also some jokes about people of a certain region within one of the states. Not the least part of Monty Python's success is due to the fact, that they joke about being British and we think we may laugh, because they are and should know what they are making fun of. However, the same joke may sound nasty, if I would make it. Me, too, has occasionally quoted "Don't mention the war!" and I know from own experiences that it is a great fun to sit in a pub and making jokes about each other, even though some of them still hurt like the 1-5 in Munich. But sitting in a bar and posting it worldwide are two different things.pinball1970 said:I think there is more love hate between British than other Europeans.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2025 Award
- 16,110
- 8,518
In my student days long ago, while I was traveling around Germany, I bought an English translation of "Asterix in Britain" to amuse myself with on the train. I remember a scene involving the Romans who were trying to capture Asterix and Obelix:fresh_42 said:British cuisine
Commander: "If you don't find those blasted Gauls and bring them to me, I'll have you boiled alive and served to the lions! With mint sauce!"
Legionnaire #1 (gulping): "How horrible!"
Legionnaire #2: "Yes, poor creatures!"
Last edited:
- 20,819
- 28,467
Psinter
- 278
- 785
What do you call a group of anxious workers?
A nervous system.
A nervous system.
Mentor
- 37,544
- 14,424
Why does no one like the Orion belt?It is a big waist of space!Not a good joke. Only 3 stars.
- 20,819
- 28,467
Because of the trouble that comes along with it:mfb said:Why does no one like the Orion belt?
Stavros Kiri
- 1,148
- 1,014
No trouble. We do it all the time ...fresh_42 said:Because of the trouble that comes along with it:
Mentor
- 8,478
- 5,700
Are thesejtbell said:
(*): Edited before some smartypants mathematician chimes in.
- 13,923
- 16,802
It probably depends on the country and time period for which the data was sourced, as well as factors such as sample bias and subtleties around what gets included in compensation (for example a lot of churches provide housing; I don't know if the same is true of synagogues). In other words, they're complex numbers.DrClaude said:Are theserealactual (*) numbers?
Sorry.DrClaude said:(*): Edited before some smartypants mathematician chimes in.
Mentor
- 37,544
- 14,424
Imaginary salary is the salary you claim you get in addition to the actual salary.Ibix said:In other words, they're complex numbers.
The larger your phase is the more you exaggerate.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2025 Award
- 16,110
- 8,518
They're actual numbers: the first hits in Google searches for "average compensation priest", etc. I didn't try to check them for consistency. I simply wanted something to construct a bar graph from.DrClaude said:Are theserealactual (*) numbers?
Similar threads
- DennisN
- · Replies 17 ·
- Science Fiction and Fantasy Media
- Replies
- 17
- BillTre
- · Replies 4 ·
- Feedback and Announcements
- Replies
- 4
- jedishrfu
- · Replies 2 ·
- General Math
- Replies
- 2
- BadgerBadger92
- · Replies 1 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 1
- Sciencemaster
- · Replies 33 ·
- Linear and Abstract Algebra
- Replies
- 33
- jtbell
- · Replies 188 ·
- Feedback and Announcements
- Replies
- 188
- smart_worker
- · Replies 7 ·
- AI and Computer Science
- Replies
- 7
- psie
- · Replies 3 ·
- Topology and Analysis
- Replies
- 3
- JT Smith
- · Replies 12 ·
- Quantum Physics
- Replies
- 12
- russellsh2
- · Replies 8 ·
- Mechanical Engineering
- Replies
- 8