Collection of Lame Jokes
- Thread starter quddusaliquddus
- Start date
-
- Tags
- Jokes
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
24,333 replies · 3M views
Physics news on Phys.org
- 13,926
- 16,803
- 20,819
- 28,467
- 13,926
- 16,803
Well that can have a range of emotional context. So yes, but with sympathy.fresh_42 said:For what? For 'been there done that'?
- 20,819
- 28,467
Then it's "how familiar" which you can of course translate "wie vertraut".Ibix said:Well that can have a range of emotional context. So yes, but with sympathy.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Do doble Umlauts cancel each other out? Maybe you can use Haagen Dasz, I heard it hasnt been registered yet. Edit: I remember the case of this guy in some 3rd world country who bought the right to several famous brand names: Pepsi, McDonalds, etc. and then tried to sell the rights to the respective companies. I don't know how that turned out in the end.fresh_42 said:Then it's "how familiar" which you can of course translate "wie vertraut".
- 20,819
- 28,467
I don't know any double Umlaute. But I do know an example of an English word with Umlaut.WWGD said:Do doble Umlauts cancel each other out? Maybe you can use Haagen Dasz, I heard it hasnt been registered yet. Edit: I remember the case of this guy in some 3rd world country who bought the right to several famous brand names: Pepsi, McDonalds, etc. and then tried to sell the rights to the respective companies. I don't know how that turned out in the end.
Science Advisor
- 3,648
- 10,067
Admin
- 69,782
- 25,629
Ack, that took me way too long to figure out!jack action said:

- 13,926
- 16,803
Motörhead?fresh_42 said:But I do know an example of an English word with Umlaut.![]()
- 20,819
- 28,467
I miss Lemmy.Ibix said:Motörhead?
- 20,819
- 28,467
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motörheadberkeman said:Oh dear. That is wrong on so many levels. Where did you see that?
But the Americans have an example, too:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Öyster_Cult
- 13,926
- 16,803
An umlaut makes anything more metal, man.berkeman said:Oh dear. That is wrong on so many levels. Where did you see that?
Signed,
Ibïx
Last edited:
Admin
- 69,782
- 25,629
Mentor
- 37,544
- 14,425
- 13,926
- 16,803
From the TV Tropes page I linked above:
A shirt saying "the shirt" is more hipster than metal, I think.
tvtropes said:Backfired by American heavy metal band Trojan, who used umlaut over 'o' on their concert T-shirts. That failed spectacularly in Sweden, as tröjan means simply "the shirt" in Swedish...
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
Similar threads
- DennisN
- · Replies 17 ·
- Science Fiction and Fantasy Media
- Replies
- 17
- BillTre
- · Replies 4 ·
- Feedback and Announcements
- Replies
- 4
- jedishrfu
- · Replies 2 ·
- General Math
- Replies
- 2
- BadgerBadger92
- · Replies 1 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 1
- Sciencemaster
- · Replies 33 ·
- Linear and Abstract Algebra
- Replies
- 33
- jtbell
- · Replies 188 ·
- Feedback and Announcements
- Replies
- 188
- smart_worker
- · Replies 7 ·
- AI and Computer Science
- Replies
- 7
- psie
- · Replies 3 ·
- Topology and Analysis
- Replies
- 3
- JT Smith
- · Replies 12 ·
- Quantum Physics
- Replies
- 12
- russellsh2
- · Replies 8 ·
- Mechanical Engineering
- Replies
- 8