Collection of Lame Jokes

  • Thread starter Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Jokes
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
24,338 replies · 3M views
strangerep said:
What about 12,000 years from now? Not very future proof.
You mean they will still have COBOL programs running?
strangerep said:
Oh, wait... Humanity is almost certain to have destroyed itself long before then. :oldfrown:
Another Carrington event will do.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
berkeman said:
So do we permantly spring forward, or forever fall backward? Inquiring minds want to know.

(BTW, I agree it would be best to not keep changing back and forth, but I don't know which of the two choices is best...)
Noon should correspond as closely as possible to the Sun being at its zenith.
 
fresh_42 said:
You mean they will still have COBOL programs running?

Another Carrington event will do.
I don't see why become concerned over something that will happen long after we're all dead.
 
Last edited:
WWGD said:
I don't see why become concern over sonething that will happen long after we're all dead.
Carrington is overdue, so I wouldn't bet.
 
fresh_42 said:
Carrington is overdue, so I wouldn't bet.
Never met him.
 
main-qimg-045c87c1d0fe168e08ef9e57d4e43274-mzj.jpeg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre and Bystander
fresh_42 said:
I know. You are online.
And S/he's not? Still no idea on Carrington.
 
WWGD said:
I don't see why become concerned over something that will happen long after we're all dead.
That's what all we programmers were saying leading up to 2000. :oldbiggrin:
 
DaveC426913 said:
That's what all we programmers were saying leading up to 2000. :oldbiggrin:
My brother had summer jobs in the mid 1970s doing programming. Around 1999 he told me that he had been including in 4-digit years in his programs back then, and the 'greybeard' programmers he reported to called him an a**hole college kid.
 
gmax137 said:
My brother had summer jobs in the mid 1970s doing programming. Around 1999 he told me that he had been including in 4-digit years in his programs back then, and the 'greybeard' programmers he reported to called him an a**hole college kid.
Maybe because they we're planning for Y10K? ;).
 
gmax137 said:
My brother had summer jobs in the mid 1970s doing programming. Around 1999 he told me that he had been including in 4-digit years in his programs back then, and the 'greybeard' programmers he reported to called him an a**hole college kid.
Of course, they did. Do you have the slightest idea how much money was made by checking and changing those old programs?
 
fresh_42 said:
Of course, they did. Do you have the slightest idea how much money was made by checking and changing those old programs?
Carrington was clearly benefiting (??)
 
Ibix said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrington_Event

Given the amount of stuff that relies on wireless these days a rerun would not be funny.
Thank you. A bad think about connectivity is that I have no real excuse for my laziness in looking it up ;). Edit: Using a phone makes it harder to search and come back. With a PC I can just open a new window. Ah, first world problems.
 
Last edited:
I told a guy I'm a big fan of USB and he accused me of being against the USA.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary and WWGD
Ivan Seeking said:
I told a guy I'm a big fan of USB and he accused me of being against the USA.
I think he attended USC.
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Ivan Seeking and berkeman
fresh_42 said:
Another Carrington event will do.
:oldsmile: TIL... about the "Carrington event".

I suspect the next one is waiting until there's major bushfires on many continents, major cyclones/hurricanes/tornadoes, heavy dependence on 5G towers, and the ##\varepsilon/\theta/\kappa## COVID variants have been granted their "freedom". o0)
 
WWGD said:
Wonder if Millenials know the meaning of (counter)clockwise.
Just explain that you turn the dial on a phone clockwise.
 
Keith_McClary said:
Just explain that you turn the dial on a phone clockwise.
But which way is that? Smartphones don't HAVE a rotary dial.
 
phinds said:
But which way is that? Smartphones don't HAVE a rotary dial.
The same way the hands go on a space-age Timex watch.
1631205747900.png