Collection of Lame Jokes

  • Thread starter Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Jokes
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
24,334 replies · 3M views
1632822255775.png
 
Physics news on Phys.org
berkeman said:
I don't get it. :nb)
Students were using "death in the family" as an excuse to skip the lecture.
 
DrClaude said:
Students were using "death in the family" as an excuse to skip the lecture.
I have two anecdotes about this.

A few years after I started teaching, I noticed a correlation between grandmother (very rarely grandfather) mortality and in-class hourly tests. So a week before the test I started telling the class, "It seems that grandmothers' deaths have something to do with my hourly tests. Now is a good time to call grandma and tell her that until the day of the test not to cross the street alone, to stay home as much as she can, and to eat bland food." Magically, grandmother mortality dropped to zero.

When I mentioned this to an older colleague, he remarked that it's a well-known correlation. He told me that it is good practice to call Student Services in the Dean's office and have them put the excuse on the record. Once a student claimed that his grandmother had died and it turned out that it was for the third time! Student Services called him in for an explanation since most people have only two grandmothers. The student mumbled something about the deceased being his widower grandfather's second wife who "was like a mother" to him. It didn't wash.
 
  • Like
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: DrClaude and berkeman
main-qimg-520381af1caea399f8fe3a513b0ece8d.png
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DrClaude, Hamiltonian, Ivan Seeking and 1 other person
main-qimg-8c25353a8fbcd603f0ad52264906a510.jpeg
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: nuuskur, Ivan Seeking, Keith_McClary and 1 other person
BillTre said:
At least they are all keeping their eyes on the ball.
I'm quite sure my ex wife made all of those faces at me before.
 
jack action said:
That reminds me of the two Norwegian cowboys who met on the trail.

Cowboy #1: Hi. I'm Thor!

Cowboy #2 (who had been riding all day): You're thor? I'm tho thor I can hardly thit!
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD and Ivan Seeking
main-qimg-190addff2855e4378aed78216dcd12f8-mzj.jpeg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre, jack action, Keith_McClary and 1 other person
fresh_42 said:
The Spanish word dolores is the plural form of dolor, meaning either sorrow or pain.
I thought all women's names mean sorrow or pain.