Collection of Lame Jokes

  • Thread starter Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Jokes
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
24,336 replies · 3M views
What's the difference between unlawful and illegal?

Unlawful is against the law, and illegal is a sick bird.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre and jack action
Physics news on Phys.org
jrmichler said:
What's the difference between unlawful and illegal?

Unlawful is against the law, and illegal is a sick bird.
I thought the first one was a radio with broken volume control: un-low-full.

... I'm already out of sight ... can't catch me ...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jack action and Hamiltonian

Speed Bump by Dave Coverly for November 05, 2021​

9994e030182c013a8133005056a9545d.gif
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark and BillTre
A nitrogen atom sits down and a bar. The bartender asks,, "why so blue"? To which the nitrogen atom response, "I think I've lost an electron".

"Are you sure"?
"I'm positive".
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jack action and Hamiltonian
We had Rock on a Croc
main-qimg-ab40fd9f6ca581990db121b1f82cb910-lq.jpeg


Now we have Rock out of Broc
 
Attachments
  • main-qimg-f85237afc9595059fea78ce3a079f2ae-lq.jpeg
    main-qimg-f85237afc9595059fea78ce3a079f2ae-lq.jpeg
    27.4 KB · Views: 124
Just wanted to have post # 11111. Meet you at # 22222 around 2037. ( Web will collapse in 2038).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron, DrClaude, Filip Larsen and 3 others
phinds said:
Try Googling 2038
Disappointing. I had expected at least something like a 2012 Maya equivalent, not only some nerd computers.
 
fresh_42 said:
Apophis is 2029. What will be in 2038?
Will run out of space for 32-bit storage of universal/Unix time: Number of seconds since January 1, 1970. After switching to 64-bit storage, problem will be shifted to January 2106.
 
I had misunderstood 'Apophis' to mean " At The Office" when I first heard about it.
 
WWGD said:
Will run out of space for 32-bit storage of universal/Unix time: Number of seconds since January 1, 1970. After switching to 64-bit storage, problem will be shifted to January 2106.
Is that correct? It's not adding 68 years, it's adding like 4 billion years.
 
valenumr said:
Is that correct? It's not adding 68 years, it's adding like 4 billion years.
My rule of thumb/ back of envelope is: ##2^{32}=4294967296##. Then we divide by 2 to get ##\pm 2147483648##. There are ##31557600## minutes in a year. The quotient ##2147483648/31557600## is around 68.
Edit: I may be mixing minutes with seconds.
 
Last edited:
WWGD said:
My rule of thumb/ back of envelope is: #2^{32}=4294967296#. Then we divide by 2 to get #\pm 2147483648#. There are #31557600# minutes in a year. The quotient #2147483648/31557600# is around 68.
Yes, but 2^64 is 2^32 * 2^32, not 2^32 + 2^32.
 
valenumr said:
Yes, but 2^64 is 2^32 * 2^32, not 2^32 + 2^32.
Yes, you're right; I read it and didn't double check. I think it is Edit:##18446744073709551616##. But I don't have a Real calculator with me and it's hard to go back-forth in an Android.
 
Last edited:
WWGD said:
Yes, you're right; I read it and didn't double check. I think it is #18446744073509616#. But I don't have a Real calculator with me and it's hard to go back-forth in an Android.
Yeah, approximating 68 as 2^6, it should be roughly 2^38 years.
 
fresh_42 said:
No. Maybe with the exception of Slartibartfast.
\Whoosh to me. I was just referring to " Of mice and men".
 
fresh_42 said:
No. Maybe with the exception of Slartibartfast.
Guess I'm one of the few here not a fan of LOTR.
 
Unless the improbability drive has been operating, Tolkien did not write the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
In the Hitchhikers Guide, the Earth turns out to be a gigantic supercomputer that has been tasked with determining the ultimate question. The answer having been previously determined to be "42".

The construction of Earth was undertaken by Slartibartfast who was commissioned by hyper-intelligent pan-dimensional beings whose extrusions into our world are seen as mice.

When Slartibartfast ends a phrase with "of mice..." and Arthur Dent tries to complete it with "and men", Slartibartfast looks at him oddly.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42 and Bystander
jbriggs444 said:
Unless the improbability drive has been operating, Tolkien did not write the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
In the Hitchhikers Guide, the Earth turns out to be a gigantic supercomputer that has been tasked with determining the ultimate question. The answer having been previously determined to be "42".

The construction of Earth was undertaken by Slartibartfast who was commissioned by hyper-intelligent pan-dimensional beings whose extrusions into our world are seen as mice.

When Slartibartfast ends a phrase with "of mice..." and Arthur Dent tries to complete it with "and men", Slartibartfast looks at him oddly.
Ok, not a sci fi fan; can't really tell them appart.