Collection of Lame Jokes
- Thread starter quddusaliquddus
- Start date
-
- Tags
- Jokes
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
24,338 replies · 3M views
Physics news on Phys.org
DaveC426913
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 24,697
- 9,101
I didn't actually recall the scene, but I am confident I understand the reference and usage.sysprog said:It was Data on Next Generation, and it was "out", not "off" (I cheated and googled it, but how different is that from asking Data?)![]()
Subsequent Googling confirms my suspicion: a blow out.
- 20,819
- 28,467
DennisN
Gold Member
- 2,197
- 10,329
256bits
Gold Member
- 4,284
- 2,297
Call it the Capital Trucker Festival running last week of January to February.Keith_McClary said:
Nothing like a festival in the winter to turn the cold blues away.
( quebec city has its Bonhoome winter carnival )
Ottawa could charge admission and make it an annual thing attracting tourist dollars.
They have barbeques, bouncy houses for the kids, saunas, good music, dancing.
they even put up a kitchen house in about 2 days.
Instead, Ottawa wants to retain it's boring town personna and would like the festival dang down.
- 13,926
- 16,805
sysprog said:It was Data on Next Generation, and it was "out", not "off" (I cheated and googled it, but how different is that from asking Data?)![]()
Yup. A ship full of redshirts got drunk on recycled plot from the original series, said "hold m'beer" and opened an airlock. Riker comments (for the benefit of the audience) that they were all sucked out into space and Data (for the benefit of pedants) corrects him.DaveC426913 said:I didn't actually recall the scene, but I am confident I understand the reference and usage.
Subsequent Googling confirms my suspicion: a blow out.
Props to the writers for acknowledging from where the episode got its main plot device by directly referencing the events of the older one.
DennisN
Gold Member
- 2,197
- 10,329
sysprog
- 2,617
- 1,793
One of the first things I learned from my neighbor's color TV was if you're on Star Trek, don't wear a red shirt.Ibix said:A ship full of redshirts got drunk on recycled plot from the original series
- 13,926
- 16,805
I have read, but have not confirmed, that actually a red shirt is the safest colour. It's true that the majority of extras who bought it were redshirts, but the vast majority of away team extras were redshirts - so their survival probability isn't too bad. I gather that gold is actually the worst colour. Few of them beam down, but when they do they don't come back...sysprog said:One of the first things I learned from my neighbor's color TV was if you're on Star Trek, don't wear a red shirt.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 24,697
- 9,101
Yep. Some guy tallied the deaths in every ep.Ibix said:I have read, but have not confirmed, that actually a red shirt is the safest colour. It's true that the majority of extras who bought it were redshirts, but the vast majority of away team extras were redshirts - so their survival probability isn't too bad. I gather that gold is actually the worst colour. Few of them beam down, but when they do they don't come back...
Ultimately, red shirts win in the numbers game. There's, like, 350 of them.
The takeway is:
You're safest as red shirt crew; but woe betide the few who are tapped for away missions.
sysprog
- 2,617
- 1,793
My recollection is that red-shirt security guys were especially expendable.
- 13,926
- 16,805
The point was that they only beamed down gold shirts when they needed an extra to do something other than stand guard. Main characters would normally do all of that, so they only used a minor character when they were going to be killed.sysprog said:My recollection is that red-shirt security guys were especially expendable.
A lot of redshirts died. But percentage-wise, you really didn't want to leave the ship in a gold shirt, because you were just there to be killed in place of a regular.
- 20,819
- 28,467
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
No, I think you're just an egghead, like most of us in this siteberkeman said:*Facepalm*
At first I thought it was about boiling water to sterilize it (I'm a skimmer, not a reader). So of course I didn't get the joke. Let me "read" it about 5 times so I can get the joke...![]()
- 20,819
- 28,467
No, he is job blind. They only use pasta water for infusions!WWGD said:No, I think you're just an egghead, like most of us in this site![]()
- 20,819
- 28,467
Keith_McClary
- 752
- 1,507
Either that, or hunters should have to go into the woods unarmed and naked.fresh_42 said:
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Wow, if I was a conspiracy theorist. My post number was 11,969. Apollo 11, 1969. ( There are much thinner premises behind some conspiracies).WWGD said:
Keith_McClary
- 752
- 1,507
For flat-earthers, it would be "You're one of those guys that believe in metrics".WWGD said:
(That would require a flat-earther who knows what a metric is.)
Similar threads
- DennisN
- · Replies 17 ·
- Science Fiction and Fantasy Media
- Replies
- 17
- BillTre
- · Replies 4 ·
- Feedback and Announcements
- Replies
- 4
- jedishrfu
- · Replies 2 ·
- General Math
- Replies
- 2
- BadgerBadger92
- · Replies 1 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 1
- Sciencemaster
- · Replies 33 ·
- Linear and Abstract Algebra
- Replies
- 33
- jtbell
- · Replies 188 ·
- Feedback and Announcements
- Replies
- 188
- smart_worker
- · Replies 7 ·
- AI and Computer Science
- Replies
- 7
- psie
- · Replies 3 ·
- Topology and Analysis
- Replies
- 3
- JT Smith
- · Replies 12 ·
- Quantum Physics
- Replies
- 12
- russellsh2
- · Replies 8 ·
- Mechanical Engineering
- Replies
- 8
