Collection of Lame Jokes

  • Thread starter Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Jokes
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
24,333 replies · 3M views
DrGreg said:
I was going to post that, but I hadn't got round to it yet.
Procrastination is a good thing. It means you have got time today, plus you have something to do tomorrow.
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970, DrClaude and Ibix
Physics news on Phys.org
DrGreg said:
I was going to post that, but I hadn't got round to it yet.
A friend of mine tells me he won an award for procrastination. He promises he's going to go and collect it any day now.
 
Ibix said:
A friend of mine tells me he won an award for procrastination. He promises he's going to go and collect it any day now.
Once he gets confirmation that the award certificate has been designed and printed by the committee.

Edit: Hang on, I'm going to edit this post. Won't be long.
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970, Ibix and BillTre
From my Facebook feed -- Gotta waterproof your reporter microphone in the rainy report...

1664509315339.png
 
berkeman said:
From my Facebook feed -- Gotta waterproof your reporter microphone in the rainy report...

View attachment 314828
That's a dick move.

Douglas Adams and Mark Carwardine's book "Last Chance To See" recounts their troubles trying to record the sound level underwater in the Yangtze (a major reason why Yangtze river dolphins are in a book so titled) with non-waterproof microphones. They adopted the same solution as the reporter, but needed to buy some and didn't speak much Chinese. Resorting to mime got the message across, but they kept being offered contraceptive pills because "they're better".
 
##\log\left(1+2+3\right) = \log\left(1\right) + \log\left(2\right) + \log\left(3\right)##
 
  • Like
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: Orodruin, Ibix and jack action
George Jones said:
##\log\left(1+2+3\right) = \log\left(1\right) + \log\left(2\right) + \log\left(3\right)##
I mean, it is not wrong …
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: George Jones
Orodruin said:
I mean, it is not wrong …
Yesterday I showed this to a pure mathematician friend. After a few seconds he literally LOLed, so I thought I'd put it the joke thread, as other folks also might chuckle.
 
Orodruin said:
I mean, it is not wrong …
Do we not do the parentheses first? Or is this another mathematics joke I don't understand?
 
(I make a meme!)

Software devs be like...

1664562633658.png
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DrClaude, collinsmark, Ibix and 1 other person
pinball1970 said:
Do we not do the parentheses first? Or is this another mathematics joke I don't understand?
The joke is that it is supposedly analagous to
$$5 \times (1 + 2 + 3) = 5 \times 1 + 5 \times 2 + 5 \times 3
$$or, to put it another way, treating ##\log(x)## as if it meant ##(log) \times (x)##. Which is false.

The more subtle part of the joke is that the overall result is actually true...
...because ##1 + 2 + 3 = 1 \times 2 \times 3## and so
$$ \log(1 + 2 + 3) = \log(1 \times 2 \times 3) = \log(1) + \log(2) + \log(3)$$
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Demystifier, Wrichik Basu, pinball1970 and 4 others
pinball1970 said:
Do we not do the parentheses first? Or is this another mathematics joke I don't understand?
Use logarithm laws
$$
\log(1+2+3) = \log(6) = \log(1\cdot 2 \cdot 3) = \log(1) + \log(2) + \log(3).
$$
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Demystifier and pinball1970
George Jones said:
Yesterday I showed this to a pure mathematician friend. After a few seconds he literally LOLed, so I thought I'd put it the joke thread, as other folks also might chuckle.
I must admit, I giggled.
 
pinball1970 said:
Do we not do the parentheses first? Or is this another mathematics joke I don't understand?
It's a very special case that happens to work. $$\begin{eqnarray*}
\ln(a+b+c)&=&\ln(a)+\ln(b)+\ln(c)\\
&=&\ln(abc)\\
\therefore a+b+c&=&abc
\end{eqnarray*}$$That's not generally true, but it so happens that 1+2+3=1×2×3 - a surprisingly simple special case. How funny that is depends on how hard you instinctively reject ##\ln(1+2+3)=\ln(1)+\ln(2)+\ln(3)## on the basis of the general rule before noticing the special case. I definitely snrked.
 
  • Like
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and George Jones
Ibix said:
It's a very special case that happens to work. $$\begin{eqnarray*}
\ln(a+b+c)&=&\ln(a)+\ln(b)+\ln(c)\\
&=&\ln(abc)\\
\therefore a+b+c&=&abc
\end{eqnarray*}$$That's not generally true, but it so happens that 1+2+3=1×2×3 - a surprisingly simple special case. How funny that is depends on how hard you instinctively reject ##\ln(1+2+3)=\ln(1)+\ln(2)+\ln(3)## on the basis of the general rule before noticing the special case. I definitely snrked.
I must confess, I even put it on the calculator before I saw what was going on.
 
fresh_42 said:
I must confess, I even put it on the calculator before I saw what was going on.
I must also confess, when I first saw the joke, I saw only the wrong method and didn't notice the answer was correct.
 
DrGreg said:
I must also confess, when I first saw the joke, I saw only the wrong method and didn't notice the answer was correct.
Me typing it in WA literally described the thought process:

##\log(6) - \log(1)-\log(2 \ldots## wait, ##\log(1)=0## so ##\ldots \log(6)-\log(2)-\log \ldots## wait ##\log(2\cdot 3)=\log(## :oldsurprised:
 
I knocked on the door of a B&B. The landlady opened the door and asked me what I wanted.

"I want to stay here", I said.

"Then stay there", she replied, and shut the door.

______________
As told by Tommy Cooper.
 
DrGreg said:
I knocked on the door of a B&B. The landlady opened the door and asked me what I wanted.

"I want to stay here", I said.

"Then stay there", she replied, and shut the door.

______________
As told by Tommy Cooper.
Welcome to Hotel California
You didn't check in any time at all
So you can never leave
 
fresh_42 said:
That's great. Paul looks he has footwear on.
EDIT: You are probably aware but the image was supposed to represent a funeral.
Priest, grave digger, pallbearer/head mourner and deceased. The no shoes thing was denoting it was Paul.
 
Last edited: