Collection of Lame Jokes

  • Thread starter Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Jokes
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
24,336 replies · 3M views
headphones.jpg
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970, BillTre, DennisN and 2 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Borg said:
bugcycle-jpg.jpg
Could be the basis for a new version of "rock paper scissors".
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970, davenn, DennisN and 1 other person
phinds said:
Printed on the door of the Linguistics Dept hallway:

View attachment 343104
**Actually, this is a Sign hanging on a door

As an aside, I recently saw someone suggest that the collective noun for a group of pedants should be "an actually." As in, "an actually of pedants has already commented on the post."
 
  • Like
  • Haha
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, Bandersnatch, DennisN and 1 other person
DrGreg said:
Could be the basis for a new version of "rock paper scissors".
Rock-paper-scissors-lizard-spock.

But actually no. The image has 6 categories and in order to create a balanced rock-paper-scissors type of game where each selection loses to half of the others and wins against the other half you need an odd number of alternatives. The more alternatives the less likely is a tie.

Ultimately, the continuum limit is for both players to pick a position on a circle. The one who has the shortest ccw distance to the other wins.
 
Orodruin said:
Ultimately, the continuum limit is for both players to pick a position on a circle. The one who has the shortest ccw distance to the other wins.
I have this vision of the university professor trying to explain the game of rock-paper-scissors to their kids at the dinner table... :smile:
 
Orodruin said:
Rock-paper-scissors-lizard-spock
It bothers me that the sequence in the name of the game is not the actual sequence. I haven't seen the episode, but can't imagine Sheldon being alright with it either.

Rock-paper-scissors-spock-lizard doesn't roll of the tongue as well. So instead rules could easily be adapted to match the name, by having:
Lizard steals scissors ('cause why not) -> scissors cut paper -> paper covers rock -> rock hits Spock in the head because he's so logical there's no other way of defeating him but smashing his face with something hard -> and Spock defeats lizard because that one time Kirk tried to defeat a lizard-man by throwing a rock at him even though the lizard was pretty slow and Spock would know that rocks are for fighting quick-witted persons with, so he wouldn't lose Q.E.D.

The internal relations are then: Spock defeats paper because his fake hand scissors are so well-toned he can cut paper and if you can't do it yourself it's only because your Vulcan salute is wanting -> paper defeats lizard because paper is made of trees and when Gorn hit a tree during that fight with Kirk the tree was completely unfazed so it's obviously stronger -> lizard defeats rock because Gorn was shown to be immune to rocks -> rock dents scissors -> scissors defeat Spock's weak fleshy imitation of true scissor form as can readily be demonstrated to any doubters.

Admittedly, this ruleset does suffer a bit in the brevity department. But then again, what nerd wouldn't trade a few extra words of explanation for being correct in some obnoxious way.
 
Bandersnatch said:
I haven't seen the episode, but can't imagine Sheldon being alright with it either.
Let's take care of that for you.
 
Bandersnatch said:
Rock-paper-scissors-spock-lizard
If anything it should be
Rock-spock-paper-lizard-scissors
Each option is defeated by the next two.
 
My wife just said that if I don't get off my computer and help with the dishes shes gonna slam my head on the keyboard but I think shes jokinhwnnriowenjauhuhyfewbh48943983wbedjhhfws7hg873243nbiu2q378hgfdbuifqbqwuiehguh-asdhnjqweiorijndaklajhb
 
  • Like
  • Haha
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: davenn, gmax137, dextercioby and 2 others
jack action said:
My wife just said that if I don't get off my computer and help with the dishes shes gonna slam my head on the keyboard but I think shes jokinhwnnriowenjauhuhyfewbh48943983wbedjhhfws7hg873243nbiu2q378hgfdbuifqbqwuiehguh-asdhnjqweiorijndaklajhb
It's a good keyboard to resist that kind of a beating and still keep sending keypresses, though.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn and BillTre
Why did the chicken cross the basketball court?

A referee called a fowl.
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn, topsquark, BillTre and 1 other person
It seems Dr Jack Kevorkian, aka Dr Death, was an accomplished pianist. He even put out a record: " Jack Kevorkian: Unplugged".
 
The other night, I was invited out to the Arena to watch playoff hockey with the guys. Told the wife that I would be home by midnight: “I promise!” Well, the team won, and the pretty lights caught my attention - as well as a few bachelorettes, and it seemed the honky-tonks were calling my name. The hours passed, and the Virgin Islands rum went down way too easily. Around 3 a.m., a bit loaded, I headed for home. Just as I got in the door, the cuckoo clock in the hallway started up and cuckooed three times.

Quickly, realizing my wife (a lovely missus, by the way) would probably wake up, I cuckooed another nine times. I was really proud of myself for coming up with such a quick-witted solution to escape a possible conflict with her. (Even when totally smashed… 3 cuckoos plus 9 cuckoos totals 12 cuckoos= MIDNIGHT! ... nailed it!)

The next morning my wife asked me what time I got in, and I said proudly, “MIDNIGHT”…. she didn’t seem pissed off in the least. Whew, I got away with that one! Then she said, “We need a new cuckoo clock.” When I asked her why, she said, “Well, last night our clock cuckooed three times, then said “oh crap”. It cuckooed 4 more times, cleared its throat, cuckooed another three times, giggled, cuckooed twice more, and then tripped over the coffee table and farted.
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: davenn, BillTre and Borg