Collection of Lame Jokes

  • Thread starter Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Jokes
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
24,333 replies · 3M views
I guess that I'll point out that the persons using them in my case weren't the sharpest tools in the box either.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It's always possible things happened the other way round, and your content was copied somehow, somewhat, into public sources.
 
On the topic of unintended plagiarism, I remember a popular fantasy author accused of lifting characters, terms and plot devices for her highly successful series of juvenile novels from a rather obscure short story published when she was a child, since out of print. Her defenders argued that 1) if she had read that story as a child, any reuse of ideas was unconscious and marginal; and 2) her elaborate development of the characters, setting, and story greatly exceeded any claim the short story author could attach to her development and subsequent book and film rights.
 
from my wood ID web site:
1714502075896.png
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: davenn, dextercioby, nuuskur and 2 others
This reminds me of that time when I did an ego-Google and discovered someone at a top-10% university had plagiarized a topology essay of mine … 😏
 
  • Wow
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970, dextercioby, nuuskur and 2 others
WWGD said:
It's always possible things happened the other way round, and your content was copied somehow, somewhat, into public sources.
Nope. The reviewer was required to state what was plagerized and specifically noted those items.
 
phinds said:
from my wood ID web site:
View attachment 344313
Or to quote Tom Lehrer:

Plagiarise! Plagiarise!
Let no one else's work evade your eyes!
Remember why the good Lord made your eyes!
So don't shade your eyes, but plagiarise,
Plagiarise, plagiarise, plagiarise!
(Only be sure to call it always please, "research".)

 
Ibix said:
Or to quote Tom Lehrer:

Plagiarise! Plagiarise!
Let no one else's work evade your eyes!
Remember why the good Lord made your eyes!
So don't shade your eyes, but plagiarise,
Plagiarise, plagiarise, plagiarise!
(Only be sure to call it always please, "research".)


Oh look, we’re back on topic!
 
Orodruin said:
Oh look, we’re back on topic!
Both on topic and derailed in one post. I'm quite proud of it. 😁
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre and berkeman
Borg said:
Nope. The reviewer was required to state what was plagerized and specifically noted those items.
I meant in a general sense.
 
The latest weight loss fad:
Walking to the paint store to get thinner.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix, BillTre and jack action
Orodruin said:
these tools are not "plagiarism detectors", they are text matching tools.
Well, they still are detectors, they're just rally bad at it - very high false-positive track record. :)
 
DaveC426913 said:
very high false-positive track record
False positive, or false inference/conclusion? Just because there is a match, there is not necessarily plagiarism. For example, if I enclose a sentence or two in quotes and add a [1] reference, do these tools understand that? :wink:
 
berkeman said:
For example, if I enclose a sentence or two in quotes and add a [1] reference, do these tools understand that? :wink:
Very much not. That is up to the user.
 
Orodruin said:
Very much not. That is up to the user.
Yikes. How am I supposed to quote from another paper with attribution? I'm probably misunderstanding your reply.
 
berkeman said:
Yikes. How am I supposed to quote from another paper with attribution? I'm probably misunderstanding your reply.
As I said, it is a text matching tool. If you quote something verbatim then obviously it is going to return a match. It is up to the user of the tool to determine if it is actual plagiarism or not.
 
Borg said:
I got 'caught' by a plagiarism program once on an exam where I was instructed to submit my exam with specific section and title names. It flagged those items. :rolleyes:

1714520435885.png
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, Borg, Ibix and 1 other person
berkeman said:
False positive, or false inference/conclusion? Just because there is a match, there is not necessarily plagiarism. For example, if I enclose a sentence or two in quotes and add a [1] reference, do these tools understand that? :wink:
The detector simply detects what it is programmed to detect, much like a pregnancy test. Pregnancy test are still pregnancy tests, even what they are detecting is HCG and have a degree of error in what conclusions should be inferred from that.
 
berkeman said:
Yikes. How am I supposed to quote from another paper with attribution? I'm probably misunderstanding your reply.
By that logic, the previous several messages were plagiarizing a preceding message, just like this one. :cool:
 
BillTre said:
By that logic, the previous several messages were plagiarizing a preceding message, just like this one. :cool:
1714545351188.jpeg
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Borg and BillTre
What do you call a pig that crosses the road, rolls in the mud on the other side, and then crosses back over?

A dirty double-crosser.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix, gmax137 and BillTre
Advanced organic chemistry feels like learning 'shapes' in kindergarten - but you're deeply mentally challenged.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Bandersnatch