1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

College algebra vs intermediate albegra ?

1. Jan 5, 2008 #1
    "college algebra" vs "intermediate albegra"???

I'm finishing up a book on Algebra 1, it pretty much ends with quadratic equations and applications.

As fas as what to study next, is there any major difference between "college" algebra and "intermediate" algebra?

The book I have on college algebra looks like it mainly deals with graphing.

Should I get an intermediate algebra book?

My goal is to school myself up to a pre-calc level.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2008 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

"College Algebra" is more advanced than Intermediate Algebra. Find and study from an Intermediate Algebra book. You could, if you are strong at Algebra, study College Algebra, since it contains almost everything that is in Intermediate. Most sure learning would be to first study Intermediate Algebra.

More precisely as I am aware, College Algebra contains Factor Theorem and Remainder Theorem, which deal with polynomials and zeros. The treatment of conic sections might be a little more advanced and include a few applications.

4. Jan 5, 2008 #3
    Thanks.

5. Jan 5, 2008 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Some more differences are worth being aware.

You were properly observant about seeing emphasis on graphs in that college algebra book. That course deals with functions and their graphs. A few details about functions beyond what you find at intermediate level occur in the "college" algebra level. Another notable topic is that while you deal with rational equations and fractional equations in Intermediate Algebra, you deal with RATIONAL FUNCTIONS and their graphs in College Algebra.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?