Exploring Collision and Causality in SR: Examples and Questions Answered

In summary, the cause of the acceleration of the second body after a collision between two bodies is a compression wave that travels through the material of the second body at the speed of sound. This wave is caused by the force acting on the surface of the first body and ultimately causes each point of the second body to move. This falls under basic Newtonian mechanics and is not related to special relativity.
analyst5
I have a quick question regarding causality in SR and some specific examples. Collision between two bodies is one of the examples when one event causes another, let's say that a body travels towards another which is at rest and hits it. Now my question may seem strange, but what is really the cause of the acceleration of the second body after the hit. Does the first body as a whole cause the second one to move, or can we consider only the surface of the first body the cause of the event 'the second body starts to move', since only the surface had the interaction with it and therefore we are speaking of two time-like events? But this still sounds confusing since the body as a whole has its mass and force and it seems that when speaking in those terms, we should somehow consider that the body as a whole had something to do with the start of the motion of the second body.

I appreciate your help, thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
analyst5 said:
Does the first body as a whole cause the second one to move, or can we consider only the surface of the first body the cause of the event 'the second body starts to move', since only the surface had the interaction with it.
It is a little more complicated than either of those options. The effect of the collision starts at the surface where the first body contacts the second body, but after it starts there is a compression wave which travels through the material of the second body at the speed of sound in the material. This wave inside the body is what ultimately causes the rest of the second body to move.

Last edited:
So does the surface of the first body have the same force as the first body as a whole while interacting?

I am not certain that I know what you are asking, but I believe that you are asking if the net force on the first body is equal to the force on the surface of the first body. If that is what you are asking, then yes, provided there are no other forces involved.

Note, the force acting on the surface of the body causes an acceleration of the center of mass of the body, even while the compression wave is still traveling through the body.

But the second body 'starts to move' point by point, starting from the sid which underwent collision, right? Since it cannot be rigid. How does the compression wave cause each point to move?

analyst5 said:
But the second body 'starts to move' point by point, starting from the sid which underwent collision, right? Since it cannot be rigid.
Yes.

analyst5 said:
How does the compression wave cause each point to move?
The internal stresses change as the compression wave passes.

Suppose that the compression wave is a perfectly sharp rectangular wave, meaning that where the wave is located there is a constant compressive stress and there is 0 stress elsewhere. Then if you consider an infinitesimal cube of material which crosses the border of the wave it is clear that the forces are unbalanced and therefore it accelerates.

This is all just basic Newtonian continuum mechanics. It has nothing to do with relativity.

What Bill-K said, but the OP might not know these effects are very slow compared with the speed of light. In most common materials on earth, the speed of the compression wave is between 1 and 10 km/s. It is quite straightforward to measure these effects in lab-bench-sized experiments.

I'm sorry, I didn't know that it was basic Newtonian mechanics, I thought it was connected with SR since in it there is no real rigid bodies. Anyway, thanks.

No worries. This does fall under Newtonian mechanics, in other words, if you are analyzing the motion of a non-rigid body in Newtonian mechanics then you would get all of the compression waves etc. which we have discussed.

The difference between relativity and Newtonian mechanics is not in the treatment of realistic non-rigid bodies, but simply the fact that idealized rigid bodies are incompatible with relativity while they are compatible with Newtonian mechanics.

Last edited:

1. What is the concept of collision and causality in SR?

Collision and causality in SR stands for the idea of how objects interact with each other in space and time. It involves understanding the effects of collisions between objects and how one object can cause a change in another object's motion.

2. How is collision and causality explored in the context of Special Relativity (SR)?

In SR, the concept of collision and causality is explored through the use of mathematical equations and thought experiments. These tools help scientists understand the effects of collisions in a relativistic framework, where the laws of physics are different from what we observe in our everyday lives.

3. Can you provide examples of how collision and causality are studied in SR?

One example of studying collision and causality in SR is the famous thought experiment known as the "twin paradox." In this scenario, one twin travels at high speeds through space while the other stays on Earth. When the traveling twin returns, they have aged less than the twin who stayed on Earth, demonstrating the effects of time dilation caused by the twin's high speed.

4. What are some common misconceptions about collision and causality in SR?

One common misconception is that objects moving at high speeds will always collide and cause destruction. In reality, the effects of collisions in SR are dependent on the relative speeds of the objects and the strength of their interactions.

5. How does the study of collision and causality in SR impact our understanding of the universe?

The study of collision and causality in SR has led to groundbreaking discoveries in physics and has helped us understand the fundamental laws that govern the universe. It has also allowed us to develop technologies, such as GPS, that rely on the principles of SR to function accurately.