Calculating Impulse and Average Force for a Ball Dropped on a Floor

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a ball dropping onto a floor and rebounding. The impulse and average force exerted on the floor are calculated using equations for momentum and force. However, there may be additional factors, such as the force of gravity, that need to be considered in the calculations.
iamkristing
[SOLVED] collision and impulse

Homework Statement

A 1.0 kg ball drops vertically onto a floor, hitting with a speed of 20 m/s. It rebounds with an initial speed of 5 m/s.
(a) What impulse acts on the ball during the contact?
kg·m/s

(b) If the ball is in contact with the floor for 0.020 s, what is the average force exerted on the floor?
N

Homework Equations

p=m*v
deltap=J
F=m(deltav)/deltat

The Attempt at a Solution

For (a) i used p=m*v and deltap=J

so I got (1*-20)-(1*5)=-25

and for (b) i used that F=(m*deltav)/deltat

which came out to be... 1(-25)/.020=0.5 N

both answers were wrong and I'm not sure what is wrong with the formulas I used...

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
25/0.020=1250

For a) the impulse is P_after - P_before and not P_before - P_after.

For b) see The reply of Mikelepore. I think you need to add the force of gravity as well.

FAQ: Calculating Impulse and Average Force for a Ball Dropped on a Floor

1. What is a collision in physics?

A collision in physics is when two objects interact with each other, causing a change in their motion or direction. This can occur when two objects come into contact with each other or when one object exerts a force on another object.

2. What is impulse in physics?

Impulse is a force applied over a period of time, resulting in a change in momentum. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the time interval in which it acts. In other words, impulse is the measure of the change in an object's momentum caused by an external force.

3. How are collision and impulse related?

In a collision, there is a transfer of momentum between the colliding objects. The magnitude and direction of this change in momentum can be calculated using the impulse-momentum theorem, which states that the impulse of a force is equal to the change in momentum it produces.

4. What are the types of collisions in physics?

There are two types of collisions: elastic and inelastic. In an elastic collision, both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved. In an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved, and some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

5. How can we calculate the impulse of a force?

The impulse of a force can be calculated using the equation I=F*t, where I is impulse, F is the force applied, and t is the time interval in which the force acts. This can be used to determine the change in momentum of an object after a collision, or to calculate the force needed to produce a desired change in momentum.