Finding the Angle of Velocity After a Collision at an Angle

In summary, two cars, both of mass m, collide and stick together. Prior to the collision, one car was traveling north at speed v, while the second was traveling at speed v at an angle phi south of east. After the collision, the two-car system travels at speed 2v at an angle theta east of north. To calculate the angle theta, use the equation tan(theta) = cos(phi)/sin(phi) and express the answer in terms of inverse trigonometric functions. To demonstrate this, make two headings for "north/south" and "east/west" and under each write "momentum before = momentum after." Then use only the component of velocity in the direction specified by the heading in each calculation
gods_laughing
Two cars, both of mass , collide and stick together. Prior to the collision, one car had been traveling north at speed , while the second was traveling at speed at an angle south of east (as indicated in the figure). After the collision, the two-car system travels at speed at an angle east of north.

What is the angle with respect to north made by the velocity vector of the two cars after the collision?
Express your answer in terms of . Your answer should contain an inverse trigonometric function.

I have already tried tan(theta)=cos(phi)/(2-sin(phi)) and arctan(cos(phi)/(2-sin(phi)) and tan(cos(phi)/(2-sin(phi)) but none seem to be the right answer

someone help please!

Physics news on Phys.org
Make two headings for "north/south" and "east/west".
Under each write "momentum before = momentum after".
Use only the component of velocity in the direction specified by the heading in each mv calculation. You should be able to calculate the two components of velocity for the attached vehicles. Then you can use trigonometry to find their combined velocity, magnitude and direction.

soooo for x I have v_finalx = (2m)v_final * cos (phi) and for y i have v_finaly = (2m)v_final * sin (phi). This would mean that tan (theta) = cos (phi)/sin(phi). I've already tried atan (cos(phi)/sin(phi)...right?

Sorry, I am not quite able to see your final answers. Certainly the m should have canceled out somewhere along the line so the answers will have the units of velocity rather than momentum. Also the initial velocities for the two cars should appear in the expressions for the final velocities. Maybe show your work so I can follow . . .

Related to Finding the Angle of Velocity After a Collision at an Angle

1. What is a collision at an angle?

A collision at an angle is a type of collision in which two objects come into contact with each other at an angle instead of head-on. This can happen in various scenarios, such as a car hitting a wall at an angle or two billiard balls colliding at an angle.

2. How is the angle of collision determined?

The angle of collision is determined by drawing a line perpendicular to the surface of contact between the two objects. The angle between this line and the direction of motion of one of the objects is the angle of collision.

3. How does the angle of collision affect the outcome of the collision?

The angle of collision plays a crucial role in determining the outcome of a collision. In an elastic collision, where no energy is lost, the angle of collision does not affect the final velocities of the objects. However, in an inelastic collision, where some energy is lost, the angle of collision can affect the amount of energy lost and the final velocities of the objects.

4. Can the angle of collision be used to calculate the forces involved in the collision?

Yes, the angle of collision can be used to calculate the forces involved in the collision. By using the principles of trigonometry, the forces in the x and y directions can be calculated based on the angle of collision and the initial velocities of the objects.

5. How can a collision at an angle be analyzed mathematically?

A collision at an angle can be analyzed mathematically using the laws of conservation of momentum and energy. By applying these laws and considering the angle of collision, the final velocities and forces involved in the collision can be calculated.