1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Collision in two dimensions

1. Apr 1, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A neutron (mass 1.7x10-27 kg) traveling at 2.7 km/s hits a stationary lithium nucleus (mass 1.2x10-26 kg). Afterwards, the velocity of the lithium nucleus is 0.40 km/s at 54° to the original direction of the motion of the neutron. If the speed of the neutron after the collision is 2.5 km/s, in what direction is it traveling?

[Answer: 66° from initial direction of neutron's velocity]

2. Relevant equations

Givens:

m1= 1.7x10-27 kg
    v1x= 2.7 km/s

v'1x= (2.5)cosθ
    v'1y= -(2.5)sinθ

m2= 1.2x10-26 kg
    v2x= 0 km/s

v'2x= (0.4)cos54°
    v'2y= (0.4)sin54°

Equations:

m1v1x= m1v'1x+m2v'2x

0= m1v'1y+ m2v'2y

3. The attempt at a solution

I plugged in my values into the two equations, and for the first equation using the x-values I got θ= 65.42° and the second using the y-values I got 65.51°. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction?

I've attached a diagram of my thought process.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

• 8-45.jpg
      8-45.jpg
      File size:
      14.5 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The values given are probably not very precise, and very probably rounded; they are specified with only two significant digits. Accordingly, you can expect a little "slop" in the results. Believe only two digits, with the second being a bit "fuzzy" :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook