1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Collision objects > Help please

1. Jan 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A track consist of a frictionless arc XY, which is a quarter-circle of radius R, and a rough horizontal section YZ. Block A of mass M is releasecd from rest at point X, slides down the curved section of the track, and collides instantaneously and ineslastically with identical block B at point Y. The two blocks move together to the right. Express the answers in term of M, R, and g.
    It asked to determind the speed of the combined blocks immediately after the collision.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Help me out please. This is the question from the AP test Physic B. I've tried to use the conservation of momentum after collision. But the initial velocity is 0, so how can i find the velocity after collision?Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Good. Momentum is conserved during the collision.
    The initial speed is 0 at the top of the arc, but the collision takes place at the bottom of the arc. Since the arc is frictionless, find the speed of block A when it reaches the bottom, just before it collides with block B.

4. Jan 5, 2008 #3
    so v=square-root-of 2gR
    and the final velocity of 2 objects is vf=(square-root-of 2gR)/2
    Is it right?

5. Jan 5, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Right. That's the final speed of both blocks immediately after the collision.

6. Jan 5, 2008 #5
    Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?