1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with collision and conservation of momentum problem

1. Jun 22, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two blocks move along a horizontal frictionless surface and collide head-on with each other. The mass of the first block, moving to the right with speed v is m, and the mass of the second block moving towards the left with speed 3v is 2m. After the collision, the block of mass m is moving at a speed 2v. Find the speed u of the block of mass 2m after the collision. The answer shall be a numerical value.

2. Relevant equations

Newton's second law and kinetic energy equation.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I have tried my best to use the second law, but of no avail, considering the the answer should come out to be a numerical value.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2017 #2

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The sum of momentums (vector quantities) after the collision will be equal to what the sum of momentums was before the collision.
    You need to define one direction as positive (for example, right).
    Initially, one block has positive momentum, and the other is negative. Get the sum of momentums.
    They give you information for the momentum of one of the blocks after the collision. You didn't specify direction - can you figure out which direction it is going?
    Once you know the momentum (with direction) of this block, you should be able to find the momentum of the other block.

4. Jun 22, 2017 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Hi Richardparker800,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

Please show us the details of at one of your attempts.

5. Jun 22, 2017 #4
    The answer keeps coming out to be zero... but I don't wanna get it wrong..

6. Jun 22, 2017 #5
    I get the fact that the first block will move to the left..but what now?

7. Jun 22, 2017 #6
    I did it! Thank you so much ^^

8. Jun 22, 2017 #7

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So what was your answer?

9. Jun 22, 2017 #8
    3v/2. I misunderstood the numerical value part.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted