Relativistic Particle Collisions with Photons: Understanding Momentum and Energy

In summary, it is possible to use a frame so that the pion is at rest, but the momentum of the photon is the same in all frames because it travels at c.
soupdejour
I have never done relativistic collisions when a photon is involved, and it's messing wtih me.

For example, I have a photon colliding with a pion moving at a speed 3c/4. Is it possible to use a frame so that the pion is at rest? I think not, because the momentum of the photon is the same in all frames because it travels at c.

Or does the momentum or energy of the photon change in different frames?

Physics news on Phys.org
soupdejour said:
Is it possible to use a frame so that the pion is at rest?
Yes, the pion has a finite (non-vanishing) mass of approximately 135 or 139 MeV.
soupdejour said:
does the momentum or energy of the photon change in different frames?
Certainly yes. Energy and momentum of a photon depend on the frame, and as usual for the components of a 4-vector, their transformation is such that the corresponding mass is conserved (here zero mass). The Lorentz transformation of a photon 4-vector is how the Doppler red(blue)shift formula is derived for instance.

soupdejour said:
For example, I have a photon colliding with a pion moving at a speed 3c/4. Is it possible to use a frame so that the pion is at rest?
Yes, of course, it is well possible.
I think not, because the momentum of the photon is the same in all frames because it travels at c.
No, your conclusion is wrong. The energy-momentum is a four-vector that transforms from one reference frame to another as any four-vector.

Bob S said:
Transfer to the pion rest frame. The photon energy increases.

It is only in case when the momenta of involved particles have opposite signs.

humanino said:
The Lorentz transformation of a photon 4-vector is how the Doppler red(blue)shift formula is derived for instance.

OK, I think I can visualize the wavelength of light changing in different frames.

I was confused that the momentum was different in different frames even though the speed was the same (c). But it makes sense that a photon just has a special four vector with "length" zero.

Thanks to both of you.

A closely related follow-up question:

If I have a photon colliding with this pion, and I want to try to find the minimum energy of the pion to create some particle N. I know the mass of N and the wavelength of the photon.

[tex] \gamma + \pi \rightarrow N [/tex]

For the minimum energy of pion to produce N, I just make N at rest.

I do energy conservation:

[tex] E_{\pi} = m_{N} c^2 - E_{\gamma} [/tex]

If I do 3-momentum conservation:

[tex] E_{\pi} = \sqrt{ m_{p}^2 c^4 + E_{\gamma}^2 } [/tex]

These two equations give me different answers! Is it possible that the N cannot be produced at rest? Thats weird...

Last edited:
You have two equations in two unknowns. You can certainly solve them for [itex]E_\pi[/itex] and [itex]E_\gamma[/itex]. This just means that, for a given [itex]m_N[/itex], there is only one specific value for each of the energies that will produce and N at rest.

Your second equation is wrong. It should be E_gamma+e_pi=m_N.

Parlyne said:
You have two equations in two unknowns. You can certainly solve them for [itex]E_\pi[/itex] and [itex]E_\gamma[/itex]. This just means that, for a given [itex]m_N[/itex], there is only one specific value for each of the energies that will produce and N at rest.

Right. So for a given frequency of light, it isn't necessarily possible to produce N at rest. Only one frequency can produce N at rest.

Thanks!

1. What is the purpose of studying relativistic particle collisions with photons?

The purpose of studying relativistic particle collisions with photons is to better understand the fundamental laws of physics and how they operate at high energies. These collisions can provide insight into particle interactions and the behavior of matter and energy in extreme conditions, such as in particle accelerators or astrophysical environments.

2. How do relativistic particle collisions with photons relate to momentum and energy?

In these collisions, both momentum and energy are conserved quantities. This means that the total momentum and energy of the particles before and after the collision must be equal. By studying these collisions, scientists can gain a better understanding of how momentum and energy are transferred and transformed in these interactions.

3. What are the main components of a relativistic particle collider?

A relativistic particle collider typically consists of a particle accelerator, which accelerates particles to high energies, and a detector, which measures the particles produced in collisions. The accelerator may use electromagnets or electric fields to accelerate particles, and the detector may use various technologies such as silicon detectors, calorimeters, or time-of-flight detectors to measure the particles.

4. What is the role of photons in these collisions?

Photons, which are particles of light, are often used as the colliding particles in these experiments. This is because photons have no mass and can travel at the speed of light, making them ideal for studying relativistic effects. Additionally, photons can interact with other particles through a process called pair production, where they can create new particles such as electrons and positrons.

5. How do scientists analyze the data from relativistic particle collisions with photons?

After a collision occurs, the particles produced are measured and their properties, such as energy and momentum, are recorded. Scientists use this data to study the interactions and make predictions about the behavior of particles and energy at high energies. This data is often analyzed using computational techniques and compared to theoretical models to further our understanding of these collisions.