Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coma aberration

1. Sep 20, 2009 #1
    As I was studying Comatic aberration, in the definition of coma the word off-axis is used which I couldnot understand. What does off axis means? and how does it contribute to the comatic aberration? I also want to know about off axis diagrammatically.Thanks.......................

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2009 #2
    By "axis" I assume you mean principle axis this beng a line drawn at 90 degrees through the centre of the lens/mirror.Off axis therefore would refer to a line parallel to the principle axis but above or below it or it could refer to a line at an angle to the principle axis.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  4. Sep 20, 2009 #3
    Diagram and explanation...

http://www.telescope-optics.net/coma.htm

5. Sep 20, 2009 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

As Creator's posted link states, the 'axis' refers to the "optical axis", which is an imaginary line that defines the centerline of the optical system. For rotationally symmetric elements (round lenses, etc), the optical axis passes through the center of each element.

Coma is an aberration that is identically zero on the optical axis.

6. Sep 20, 2009 #5
    I am still confused about optical axis and off axis.Are these terms same or different?

7. Sep 21, 2009 #6
    Principle axis,optical axis or just axis call it what you will,it is the line that passes symmetrically(at 90 degrees)through the centre of the lens/mirror.A ray passing through the optical axis of a lens will be refracted but it will not be deviated through an angle or laterally displaced,it will pass straight through.A ray travelling along the optical axis of a curved mirror will reflect back along the optical axis.Off axis refers to any ray that is not travelling along the optical axis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook