Combination Circuit Question: Determining Current

In summary, to find the current flowing through each of the resistors in the given circuit, you must first determine the overall resistance of the circuit by combining resistors in series and parallel. Then, using Ohm's Law, you can calculate the source current and the voltage across the equivalent resistive element. From there, you can expand the circuit back to its original form to determine the voltages across each resistor. Finally, using the voltage values and the resistor values, you can solve for the unknown branch currents.
Zaphia

Homework Statement

Find the current flowing through each of the resistors in the circuit shown, where [tex]\xi[/tex] = 14V and R=6.3[tex]\Omega[/tex].

Circuit-Fig2131.jpg

Homework Equations

I=V/R
where I=current (Amps), V=potential different (Volts), R=resistance ([tex]\Omega[/tex]).

Resistors in Series:

Req=R1+R2+...
Ieq=I1=I2=...
Veq=V1+V2+...

Resistors in Parallel:

1/Req=1/R1+1/R2+...
Ieq=I1+I2+...
Veq=V1=V2=...

The Attempt at a Solution

Step 1: Determine the overall resistance of the circuit.

6.3[tex]\Omega[/tex] and 5.8[tex]\Omega[/tex] are in series, so Req=12.1[tex]\Omega[/tex] so far.

Next, 12.1[tex]\Omega[/tex] and 3.2[tex]\Omega[/tex] are in parallel, so the resulting Req is: 1/Req=1/12.1[tex]\Omega[/tex]+1/3.2[tex]\Omega[/tex]=2.531[tex]\Omega[/tex].

Finally, 2.531[tex]\Omega[/tex], 1.0[tex]\Omega[/tex] and 4.5[tex]\Omega[/tex] are in series. So Req=2.531[tex]\Omega[/tex]+1.0[tex]\Omega[/tex]+4.5[tex]\Omega[/tex]=8.031[tex]\Omega[/tex]

The total resistance of the circuit is 8.031[tex]\Omega[/tex].

Step 2: Determine the overall current, I.

Using Ohm's equation, I=V/R, I found that I=1.743A

Step 3: Determine the individual currents at each of the resistors.

This is the part that I can't figure out. I know that resistors 4.5[tex]\Omega[/tex] and 1.0[tex]\Omega[/tex] have current, I=1.743A because the current travels from positive to negative, but I don't understand how to solve for the currents for the rest of the resistors.

I also understand that the resistors 6.3[tex]\Omega[/tex] and 5.8[tex]\Omega[/tex] will also have the same current.

(I have been given the correct answers for all of the resistors, but I can't reverse-solve the problems either:)
6.3[tex]\Omega[/tex] and 5.8[tex]\Omega[/tex], I=0.365A
3.2[tex]\Omega[/tex], I=1.38A

Thanks for any insight!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your REQ calculation and source current calculation looks correct.

Notice that the voltage across (R = 3.2 ohms) is the same as the voltage across the combination (R = 6.3 + R5.8 ohms). You combined those in series, then parallel in your earlier work and got (R = 2.53) ohms as a result. The voltage across that combination resistor will tell you the voltages across the re-expanded elements (R = 3.2 ohms) and
(R = 6.3 + 5.8 ohms). Let me know if I need to clarify, I know that probably sounds confusing.
:yuck:

I understand (I think!) what your saying, but I don't know the math in order to solve the problem. Is it a set of ratios to get the Current values for each resistor?

You just need to use Ohm's Law V = IR. You can determine the voltage across the resistor combination I was talking about in the previous post because you will know the current through it and the equivalent resistance. You solved for those values earlier, ISource = 1.74 A and REQ = 2.53 ohms, from your calculation below.
Zaphia said:
Next, 12.1[tex]\Omega[/tex] and 3.2[tex]\Omega[/tex] are in parallel, so the resulting Req is: 1/Req=1/12.1[tex]\Omega[/tex] +1/3.2[tex]\Omega[/tex] =2.531[tex]\Omega[/tex].

Use those values to determine the voltage across that equivalent resistive element, then expand the circuit back to its original form. Then you will have the voltages across the resistor (R = 3.2 ohms) and the resistor combination (R = 6.3 + 5.8 = 12.1 ohms). You can use the calculated voltage value and the resistor values to determine the two unknown branch currents.

1. What is a combination circuit?

A combination circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains both series and parallel connections. This means that the components in the circuit are arranged in both a single path and multiple paths for the current to flow through.

2. How do you determine the current in a combination circuit?

To determine the current in a combination circuit, you can use Ohm's Law (I = V/R) and Kirchhoff's Laws. First, calculate the total resistance by combining resistors in series and parallel. Then, use Ohm's Law to calculate the total current. Finally, use Kirchhoff's Laws to calculate the current in each individual branch of the circuit.

3. What is Kirchhoff's Law?

Kirchhoff's Laws are two principles that are used to analyze electrical circuits. The first law, also known as Kirchhoff's Current Law, states that the algebraic sum of currents at any node (or junction) in a circuit is equal to zero. The second law, also known as Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, states that the algebraic sum of voltages around a closed loop in a circuit is equal to zero.

4. How do you calculate the total resistance in a combination circuit?

To calculate the total resistance in a combination circuit, you need to combine the resistors in both series and parallel connections. For resistors in series, the total resistance is equal to the sum of individual resistances. For resistors in parallel, you can use the formula 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn, where Rt is the total resistance and R1, R2, etc. are the individual resistances.

5. Can you use Ohm's Law to calculate the current in a combination circuit?

Yes, you can use Ohm's Law (I = V/R) to calculate the total current in a combination circuit. However, it is important to note that this will only give you the total current, and you will need to use Kirchhoff's Laws to determine the current in each individual branch of the circuit.