Optical Lens Combination Problem: Calculating Image Location and Magnification

In summary, the converging lens of focal length 7.94 cm is located 19.7 cm to the left of a diverging lens of focal length -6.04 cm. The coin is placed 12.2 cm to the left of the converging lens. Using the equation 1/do + 1/di = 1/f, the final image distance from the converging lens is calculated to be 22.74 cm. To find the final image distance from the diverging lens, the previously calculated image distance is subtracted from 19.7 cm, resulting in a new image distance of 2.02 cm. The magnification of the coin's final image is calculated to be -3.5
gadawg90
A converging lens of focal length 7.94 cm is 19.7 cm to the left of a diverging lens of focal -6.04 cm. A coin is placed 12.2 cm to the left of the converging lens. A) Calculate the location of the coins final image.

B)Calculate the magnification of the coin's final imag.

The equation i think you are supposed to use is 1/do + 1/di= 1/f

What i have so far is that the image distance from the converging lens in 22.74 cm. I then subtracted that number from 19.7 cm and tried to use that as the object distance for the diverging lens. When i did this and solved for the new image distace i got 2.02 cm which was wrong. Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
me out here. A) The location of the coin's final image is 22.74 cm to the right of the converging lens.B) The magnification of the coin's final image is -3.5.

What is a Combination Lens problem?

A Combination Lens problem is a type of optics problem that involves combining two or more lenses to form an overall optical system.

What is the formula for calculating the combined power of two lenses?

The formula for calculating the combined power of two lenses is P = P1 + P2, where P is the combined power and P1 and P2 are the individual powers of the lenses.

How do I determine the focal length of a combination lens?

The focal length of a combination lens can be determined by using the formula 1/f = 1/f1 + 1/f2, where f is the combined focal length and f1 and f2 are the individual focal lengths of the lenses.

What is the difference between a converging and diverging combination lens?

A converging combination lens has a positive power and brings parallel rays of light to a focus, while a diverging combination lens has a negative power and spreads out parallel rays of light.

How do I solve a Combination Lens problem?

To solve a Combination Lens problem, you must first identify the individual powers and focal lengths of the lenses, then use the appropriate formulas to calculate the combined power and focal length. Finally, use the combined power and focal length to determine the image position and magnification of the overall optical system.