1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Combination of wavefunctions in oscillator

1. Mar 13, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The equation [itex]\psi(x) = \frac{1}{sqrt(2)}\psi_0 (x) + \frac{i}{sqrt(5)}\psi_1 (x) + \gamma\psi_2 (x)[/itex]

is a combination of the first three eigenfunctions in the 1D harmonic oscillator. So, [itex]\psi_0 = Ae^{-mωx^2 /2\hbar}[/itex] and so on for the first and second excited states. If [itex]\psi_0[/itex], [itex]\psi_1[/itex] and [itex]\psi_2[/itex] are normalised, and [itex]\psi(x)[/itex] is also normalised, determine [itex]|\gamma|[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

You can obtain the normalised functions for the ground state and first two excited states from a variety of methods, and you can then expand out [itex]\psi(x)[/itex]. I tried plugging that back into the time dependent Schrodinger equation, but that didn't help (and it also gave a messy derivative) so im at a loss as to how i can proceed.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2014 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

It is stated that ##\psi_0##, ##\psi_1##, and ##\psi_2## are taken to be normalized.

How is that realted to normalization?

Let's start from the beginning: what equation does ##\psi(x)## statisfy if it is normalized?

4. Mar 13, 2014 #3
    Hmm it satisfies [itex]\int^{∞}_{-∞} \psi^{*}\psi dx = 1[/itex] I think

5. Mar 13, 2014 #4

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Correct. So plug in there the ##\psi(x)## of the problem. Keep the notation ##\psi_0## and so on (i.e., do not write the explicit functions of ##x##) and use the properties of the harmonic oscillator wave functions to simplify the result.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted