1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Combinatorics and Probability

1. Mar 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    in a poker game we want to calculate the Probability to get differnet combinations. in a card deck there are 52 cards from 4 different series. each series has 13 cards. we assume that each card get 5 random cards.

What is the number of combinations to get the cards? (The order isn't important)
    my answer: 52*51*50*49*48

what is the number of combinations if we don't distinguish?
    My answer: 52C5-13*12*4 (the number of combinations to choose 5 cards - the number of combinations which repeat themselves)

What is the probability to get K,J,Q,A,Flush and all the cards are from the same series?
    My answer: (52/52)(12/52)(11/52)(10/52)(9/52)

what is the probability to get a one pair (two card of the same kind)?
    My answer: 3!*(52/52)(3/52)(48/52)(47/52)(46/52)

We play N times. What's the probabilty that until the Nth game we won't get one pair and in the last game we will get one pair?
    My answer:[(1-3!*(52/52)(3/52)(48/52)(47/52)(46/52))^(n-1)]*(3!*(52/52)(3/52)(48/52)(47/52)(46/52))

Is it correct?
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2010 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The "series" are usually called "suits". Do you mean to ask how many possible different 5 card hands can be dealt? If so, your answer is wrong. You have given the number of permutations of 52 things 5 at a time, P(52,5), which counts different orders as different hands. You want combinations, C(52,5), which doesn't distinguish different orders of the same 5 card hands.
    Don't distinguish what? This is a confused paragraph; see above.

No. How many royal flushes are there? How many possible 5 card hands are there? Use those figures.

It's more complicated than that. Normally, when you say you have one pair it means you don't have a better hand. So you can't have a full house, which includes a pair or 3 or 4 of a kind.

4. Mar 12, 2010 #3
    If we don't distinguish between the suits...

I don't understand what you meant. I need to find the probability to get a shape/color and all the cards are from the same suit.

So what do I do?

The other answers are correct?

5. Mar 12, 2010 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What in the world does "shape/color and all the cards from the same suit" mean?

I doubt your answers are correct, but it's hard to tell given that I can't figure out what you are really intending to ask. If these questions are from a text, please copy them verbatim so I know what they really say.

6. Mar 12, 2010 #5
    O.k , Forget about it, I need help only with the following qeustions:
    what is the number of combinations if we don't distinguish between the suits?
    And:
    We play N times. What's the probabilty that until the Nth game we won't get only one pair and in the last game we will get one pair?
    Trying to answer: Is like (1-get one pair)^(n-1) * (get one pair)?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook