Combinatorics-binomial expansion?

• Thread starter pupeye11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expansion
In summary: The Attempt at a Solution In summary, the problem is trying to find the coefficient of x^5 in the expansion of \frac{(x+y)^9}{1-x}- using the result from A(x)=1/(1-x) and B(x)=(x+y)9. The book expects you to know how to write A(x) as a series, so Newton's binomial theorem can be used to find that 127 x^5y^4.
pupeye11

Homework Statement

Let A(x) = [tex]\sum_{k>=0}a_{k}x^k[/tex] and B(x) = [tex]\sum_{k>=0}b_{k}x^k[/tex] show that:
A(X)B(X) = [tex]\sum_{k>=0}(\sum_{i=0}a_{i}b_{k-i})x^k[/tex]

The second sum sign in the answer should be from i=0 to k.

The Attempt at a Solution

I factored out like terms and then multiplied them together and got

[tex]\sum_{k>=0}x^k(a_{k}b_{k})[/tex] then if i={0,1,2,...,k} we would get

[tex]\sum_{k>=0}x^k(\sum_{i=0}a_{i}b_{k-i})[/tex]

I am guessing this is wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't this by definition? What is your definition of polynomial multiplication?

to be honest i am not sure, i am quite lost in this class

Which class, and from where did this question come? It's possible all you're supposed to say is that a term with xk clearly appears iff you multiply a term with xi by a term with xk-i, which gives you a coefficient of akbk-i. Combining like terms gives you the sum...

It's an Intro to Combinatorics class and its from some homework that covers Binomial coefficients, the binomial theorem, and Newtons binomial theorem. That is the sections I believe the answer should come from out of all the choices I have. If you don't agree with that I can tell you the other sections we have covered for this homework.

I also don't get how your idea would work. I start with the two x^k therefor i never multiplied a x^i by an x^{k-i} so the coefficient wouldn't come about that way?

When you multiply two polynomials, you need to combine their individual terms in every way possible, so you will need to multiply the aixi by bk-ixk-i sometime. It's possible for ai or bk-i to be 0.

pupeye11 said:
I also don't get how your idea would work. I start with the two x^k therefor i never multiplied a x^i by an x^{k-i} so the coefficient wouldn't come about that way?
It's often helpful to expand the summations to see what you're actually doing and where you're going wrong in your calculations. For example, suppose you had

[tex]A(x) = \sum_{k=0}^3 a_k x^k = a_0 + a_1 x + a_2 x^2 + a_3 x^3[/tex]

[tex]B(x) = \sum_{k=0}^3 b_k x^k = b_0 + b_1 x + b_2 x^2 + b_3 x^3[/tex]

Then

[tex]A(x)B(x) = (a_0 + a_1 x + a_2 x^2 + a_3 x^3)(b_0 + b_1 x + b_2 x^2 + b_3 x^3)[/tex]

From this, you can see your first step of factoring like terms doesn't work in that there will be no terms that look like akbkxk except for k=0. Also, if you multiply it out, you should see a pattern for the coefficients in the final series.

alright, so if i expand A(x) i'll get something like

A(X) = [tex]a_{0}+a_{1}x+a_{2}x^2+...+a_{k}x^k?[/tex]

then i do the same for B(X) and multiply them together?

Yes.

Ok, I got that answer then. The second part of the question says to use this result to find the coefficient of x^5 in the expansion of [tex]\frac{(x+y)^9}{1-x}[/tex] and I do not get how the answer to the previous part is supposed to help me...

Use A(x)=1/(1-x) and B(x)=(x+y)9. It looks like the book expects you to know how to write A(x) as a series.

Well [tex]A(x)=\frac{1}{1-x}=1+x+x^2+x^3+...[/tex]. So this coefficient from [tex]x^5[/tex] is just going to be 1 but I don't know how to get the one from B(x)? Unless its not looking for the specific number which I would think that the coefficient would then be written as [tex]a_{1}b_{4}x^5[/tex]. Would that be the solution to this problem?

Remember you are have a sum, of which a1b4 is certainly one part, but not all. Likely the book is looking for an expression involving y; you can find the coefficients for B(x) using binomial coefficients.

Ok then, so I can use Newton's binomial Theorem to find that

[tex]\sum_{k=0} nCr(9,5) x^5y^4 = 126 x^5y^4[/tex]. Then I would have to add that 1 to give me 127 correct?

The summation sign you have there should not be there. Indeed, in (x+y)9, the coefficient in front of the x5 term is 9C5y4 (note the y in the expression). However, why would you add 1? Take a look again at the formula from the first part.

Alright I understand the B(X) part. The one would be added because when we change A(X) into the series the [tex]x^5[/tex] has a coefficient of one. Does it not?

I suggest, along the lines of vela's advice, to multiply out

(a0 + a1x + a2x2 + a3x3 + a4x4 + a5x5)(b0 + b1x + b2x2 + b3x3 + b4x4 + b5x5).​

See what pattern you can spot. It should help you get a feel for what the formula for multiplication is really saying.

When I multiplied that out the pattern I saw is the same one from before, that [tex]a_{i}b_{k-i}[/tex]... sorry I really am not getting this. I understand that 126 is part of it though...

Yes, so what are b0 through b5 in B(x) = (x+y)9?

Would it be another 126 or am I completely lost now? :|

Can you expand (x+y)9 via the binomial theorem? There will be coefficients in front of x0, x1, ..., x9. These correspond to the b0 to b9 of B(x), of which only b0 to b5 are needed in calculating the final coefficient you need. (Why?)

Last edited:
It would really help if you post your attempts in sufficient detail rather than just ask seemingly random questions. It's hard to figure out where you're getting stuck, and we sometimes have to guess as to what you mean (like I have no idea what the 126 refers to). Keep in mind we don't know what you've tried, so even though a question may make complete sense to you, it doesn't to us.

It is because the coefficient that I am looking for is the one that is in front of [tex]x^5[/tex]. So I would need the coefficients from all ones before and including x^5? Meaning that not only do I use nCr(9,5)=126 but add nCr(9,4)=126, nCr(9,3)=84. nCr(9,2)=36, nCr(9,1)=9, and nCr(9,0)=1. So those together give me 382?

So my last question is, is it really (x+y)9 and not something like (x+1)9?

it is definitely [tex](x+y)^9[/tex]

You can't just add the numerical coefficients then because the coefficients bk will contain different powers of y. For instance, b1=(9c1)y8 while b2=(9c2)y7.

Alright, that makes sense. Since I am looking for the coefficient of [tex]x^5[/tex] the answer would then be [tex]9c5 y^4 = 126y^4[/tex]?

No, that would be the coefficient of x5 in B(x), not A(x)B(x). You'll still have a sum of the cross terms; you just can't simplify the sum.

Ok, so then for [tex]A(X)=\frac{1}{1-x}=1+x^2+x^3+x^4+x^5+...[/tex] the coefficient of x^5 is 1. If all we care about are when we have x^5 wouldn't the coefficient of A(X)B(X) just be [tex]126y^4[/tex] times 1?

No, because, for example, the x2 term in A(x) and the x3 term in B(x) will combine to contribute to the x5 term in A(x)B(x).

By the way, don't you see a contradiction in the answer you just gave, [itex]126y^4[/itex], and the formula you verified earlier, which is a sum of a bunch of terms?

Last edited:
Yeah, I forgot about the sum... But if I was working with just B(x) then my answer would be [tex]126y^4[/tex] but since I have A(x) I need to multiply together. Is there a theorem in combinatorics that makes this easy or do I just need to do it the long way?

Well, there's the formula you verified earlier.

That is kind of the problem, I get that if I use the formula I'll have something that looks like this

[tex]\sum_{k>=0}(\sum_{i=0}^{k}a_{1}b_{4})x^5[/tex]. How does this give me a number for a coefficient? Or do I take the coefficient at [tex]a_{1}[/tex] and [tex]b_{4}[/tex] and multiply them together. Then after doing that for all the combinations that create x^5 do I add them all together?

How did you get this
pupeye11 said:
[tex]\sum_{k>=0}(\sum_{i=0}^{k}a_{1}b_{4})x^5[/tex]
from this
pupeye11 said:
A(X)B(X) = [tex]\sum_{k>=0}(\sum_{i=0}a_{i}b_{k-i})x^k[/tex]

The second sum sign in the answer should be from i=0 to k.