How Many Paths Exist from (0, 0, 0) to (a, b, c) in a 3D Grid?

In summary, the problem involves finding the number of paths from (0, 0, 0) to (a, b, c) where only one coordinate can be increased by one at each step. This can be solved using a multinomial formula, resulting in a total of ((a+b+c) choose a)((b+c) choose b) paths.
dancergirlie

Homework Statement

Let a, b, and c be positive integers. How many paths are there from (0, 0, 0) to
(a, b, c) if we are only allowed to increase one of the coordinates by one at each
step?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem is easy for the path between (0,0) to (a,b)
because you can make the path into a binomial sequence, where if you increase a, then that will be a one, and if you increase b, then it will be a zero.

so for two:
total number of digits in the binary sequence= a+b
where a= # of 1s and b=#of 0's

So the total # of paths=
(a+b) choose a, which is equivalent to (a+b) choose b.

However for (0,0) to (a,b,c)
the total digits in the binary= a+b+c
and define the number of ones as a
and non-ones (zeros)= a+b

which yields:
Total path #s= (a+b+c) choose a.

I think the answer is:

((a+b+c) choose a)((b+c) choose b)

However, how do I explain that? Can i define c as the number of two's in the binary sequence? I thought binaries only had ones and zeros, that is why I haven't done that. Any help would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
This can be done using a multinomial formula.

But yes

[tex]\left( \begin{array}{c}{a+b+c}&{a}\end{array} \right) \left( \begin{array}{c}{b+c}&{b}\end{array} \right)[/tex]

is fine.

--Elucidus

FAQ: How Many Paths Exist from (0, 0, 0) to (a, b, c) in a 3D Grid?

What is combinatorics path question?

Combinatorics path question is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the number of possible ways to travel from one point to another on a given path, while following certain rules or restrictions.

What are the applications of combinatorics path question?

Combinatorics path question has various applications in fields such as computer science, engineering, and physics. It is used to solve problems related to optimization, network routing, and genetics, among others.

What are the common techniques used to solve combinatorics path question?

The most commonly used techniques to solve combinatorics path question include permutation, combination, and graph theory. These techniques help in determining the number of possible paths and finding the optimal path.

What are the key factors to consider when solving combinatorics path question?

The key factors to consider when solving combinatorics path question include the starting and ending points, the rules or restrictions to follow, and the number of steps or moves allowed. It is also important to understand the underlying problem and choose the appropriate technique to solve it.

How can combinatorics path question be used in real-life scenarios?

Combinatorics path question can be applied in real-life scenarios such as logistics and transportation planning, network routing, and DNA sequencing. It can also be used to solve optimization problems in various industries, including finance and manufacturing.