Calculating Speed of Comet at Greatest Distance from Sun

In summary, the conversation discusses the movement of a comet in an elliptical orbit around the sun. Its closest approach to the sun is 0.59 AU and its greatest distance is 35 AU. The question asks for the speed of the comet when it is farthest away, given its speed of 54 km/s at its closest approach. Using the conservation of angular momentum and the equation for centripetal force, the speed is calculated to be 3,203,419 m/s. However, the accuracy of this calculation is questionable due to discrepancies in the initial information provided.
UrbanXrisis
A comet moves in an elliptical orbit around the sun. It's closest approach to the sun is 0.59 AU and its greatest distance form the sun is 35AU. If the comet's speed at its closest approach is 54 km/s what is the speed when it is farthest away? Angular momentum is conserved and the gravitational forec eserted by the Sun has a moment arm of zero.

Here's what I did...
[tex]I_{initial} \omega_{initial}=I_{final} \omega_{final}[/tex]
moment of inertia is always the same...
[tex]\frac{v_i}{r_i}=\frac{v_f}{r_f}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{54000m/s}{88262020000m}=\frac{v_f}{5.23593E12m}[/tex]
[tex]v_f=3203419m/s[/tex]

did I do this correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a bad question. A comet whose closest approach is 0.59AU, and has a velocity of 54 km/s at that point will only venture out 18.76 AU from the Sun before beginning its fall back towards the Sun. So it will be traveling from approximately the orbit of Venus to the orbit of Uranus. It will take 15 years for it to complete this half orbit, at which point it will be traveling 1.7 km/s.

Are you sure the question said the comet is orbiting the Sun, and not another star?

Yes, you have correctly calculated the speed of the comet at its greatest distance from the sun. By using the conservation of angular momentum and the fact that the moment arm is zero at the greatest distance, you were able to equate the initial and final angular momenta and solve for the final speed. Your result of 3,203,419 m/s is consistent with the expected speed for a comet at that distance from the sun. Good job!

1. What is the formula for calculating the speed of a comet at its greatest distance from the sun?

The formula for calculating the speed of a comet at its greatest distance from the sun is v = √(GM((2/r) - (1/a))), where v is the speed of the comet, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the sun, r is the distance between the sun and the comet at its greatest distance, and a is the semi-major axis of the comet's orbit.

2. How do you determine the distance between the sun and the comet at its greatest distance?

The distance between the sun and the comet at its greatest distance can be determined by observing the comet's orbit and measuring the semi-major axis, or the longest distance between the comet and the sun in its elliptical orbit.

3. What is the unit of measurement for the speed of a comet?

The unit of measurement for the speed of a comet is meters per second (m/s).

4. Can the speed of a comet at its greatest distance from the sun change?

Yes, the speed of a comet at its greatest distance from the sun can change due to gravitational interactions with other celestial bodies or changes in its orbit caused by external forces.

5. How accurate is the calculated speed of a comet at its greatest distance from the sun?

The accuracy of the calculated speed of a comet at its greatest distance from the sun depends on the accuracy of the measurements and data used in the calculation. With precise measurements and accurate data, the calculated speed can be relatively accurate. However, external factors such as gravitational interactions with other celestial bodies can also affect the accuracy of the calculation.